Check Light Came On Car Doesnt Idle Right - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
NESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys Im sure someone has had this happen before but I searched and couldnt find nothing. My check light came on last night (not check engine, thats been on) and my car started idling weird like dropping to low. Its a 95 325is with 120k so whats the problem and is it ok to drive it like this?
NESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 04:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
O2 sensor. Take it to autozone and get a free inspection with their code reader to make sure though. Also I think a bad Idle Control valve might cause this issue too. From what I understand, an ICV will cause werid idle issues but not sure if it'll cause the check engine to come on. My bet is on O2 sensor. SHould run about 100 bucks and takes 5 minutes to change.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
PR325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to PR325is Send a message via Yahoo to PR325is
Quote:
Originally posted by jrhaile@Apr 21 2005, 05:08 AM
O2 sensor. Take it to autozone and get a free inspection with their code reader to make sure though. Also I think a bad Idle Control valve might cause this issue too. From what I understand, an ICV will cause werid idle issues but not sure if it'll cause the check engine to come on. My bet is on O2 sensor. SHould run about 100 bucks and takes 5 minutes to change.
[snapback]335909[/snapback]
i was going to ask about the O2 sensor... is that what really makes the car's idling go up and down?? coz i went to a mechanic to fix something else in my car and asked him about this crazy idling... i told him about the O2 sensor needed to be replaced, but he said it's not it... he mentioned something about the car's "idle control module" does he know what he's talking about?? or has anyone ever heard of this??
PR325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Yea thanks guys I talked to a mechanic last night and he told me it was probably the O2 sensor but then he started talking about some kind of module like you are PR. Im going to take it up to AutoZone today.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NESS@Apr 20 2005, 10:42 AM
My check light came on last night (not check engine, thats been on)
[snapback]335567[/snapback]
not sure which other check light you are talking about.

but the fact that your check engine was already on isn't helping the situation.

since you have obd-i you can read the codes yourself:
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=632
follow the instructions for motronic 1.3

btw a simple vacuum leak can also produce the same symptoms you described
Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
What? No Autobahn?

Car: 2001 M5
Photos:
jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
Send a message via ICQ to jrhaile Send a message via AIM to jrhaile Send a message via MSN to jrhaile
Very true about the vacuum leak, but more often then not this sounds like an O2 Sensor problem. How long have you had your car? How many miles on your car? Ever changed the O2 sensor? Never a bad idea to change it every 30k or so anyways.

Idle Control Module doesn't exist on e36's from my understanding, on e30s and earlier they do. It's now a valve called the Idle Control Valve and it's located under the intake manifold. Hard to miss, it's a T shaped metal device. Might need to clean it.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ok so I went up to AutoZone for my check engine light and they said they can only do it for 96' above. Why is that, does it have something to do with OBD-II?

Anyway since I cant figure out whats wrong with my check engine light and check light from AutoZone is there any other place that will do it for free or cheap? My Aunt has one of those tools but she lives all the way in Pensacola and I really dont want to drive that far with the car like this.

The only noticeable thing I see is that when I crank the car up the idle drops for just like 2 seconds then goes back up to normal. It rides fine the rest of the time and sometimes the second check light will go off if I ride around for a bit but once I shut it off then turn it back on it will pop back up.

What does the second yellow check light mean anyway? Is it trying to tell you theres something that really needs to be checked on the engine or is it just something minor that went out?

edit. (NVM just saw Desmo's post Ill try that to get the codes)
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2003 M5
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
yes, obd-II is only for 96 and above

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Burnettm is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel you..
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/index.php...&st=0&p=337578&
Burnettm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)