Check Engine Light!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rekless56 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question Check Engine Light!!!

How you doing...I finally got my car nice and registered..on my way to the courthouse, the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on...I have been hearing about this PEDAL TRICK to pull the code..I went to autozone, they said they cant pull the code for a 93 but it has a female fitting like something plugs into it under the drivers side dash..Circular in shape...Can someone explain the pedal trick to me so i can pull the code or recommend somewhere where i can pull the code??...Thanks guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
To run through the 4-digit code data on your car, put the key in the ignition and turn to the 2nd position, where all the cluster lights come on. Within a second, tap the accelerator pedal (fully) 5 times in rapid succession (total time about 3 seconds). The check-engine light will flash once and then turn off. It will then flash a certain number of times, turn off, flash another number of times and then do it twice more. If there are other codes it will then flash these. For example.... "flash... flashflash... flash... flashflashflash" would be a code of 1213 (whatever that is). If your car is telling you certain codes, you can crossreference these codes online and see if they mean anything's wrong. You will need to know the exact year and engine in your car when you search for a code list, as they differ by engine. You could also buy a code reader for $100, but why...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:03 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
When im trying to do the "stomp Test" its not working...i dont know whats up..i already have the CEL on and its suppose to flash and it just stays constant..any ideas??
#4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

vincentmb615 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vincentmb615
turn key to position 2 dont start the car push pedle to the floor and let go 5 times as fast as you can its alll about the timing

[94 325i two toned
#5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmb615 View Post
turn key to position 2 dont start the car push pedle to the floor and let go 5 times as fast as you can its alll about the timing
yeah it should work for your car.

CEL is most likely a problem with the MAF or O2 sensor or you left your gas cap screwed off.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 03:48 AM
n00b

khmigga is on a distinguished road
i heard after like you start your car like 50 times it resets the system so the check engine light goes off but idk. is the plug your talking about a o2 sensor?

#7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, Neg 1st and 1st when reconnect.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info guys...im going to try the test again tomorrow...i got some more troubling problems now tho...the fan on the fan clutch broke off completely and i have two large holes in my radiator so im guna work on that too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)