BMW Werkz banner

Check Engine Light

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bigred318 
#1 ·
Quick question:

My '96 318ti wasn't running correctly. Difficulty starting once the temps dropped and it would run rough the first few minutes. Yesterday, I was warming it up and came back and it was off; I couldn't keep it running at idle. For a quick fix, I raised the idle, which enabled me to get around for the rest of the day. At some point yesterday, my check engine light went on. Anyway, my instict was the plugs, which I changed today (they're the originals w/70k on them), along with the ignition wires and an oil change. Seems to have done the trick -- car starts up fine cold and I turned the idle back down; however, CHECK ENGINE light is still on.

Does this mean I did not fix the problem OR does the CHECK ENGINE light need to be reset (i.e., once it's triggered, it will stay on until reset by the dealer)?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas everyone.

#2 ·
It's hard to say, the check engine light can mean alot of things. I say you get it checked to see what the problem is. I read on these forums that you can go to Autozone and get it checked for free.
As for resetting it, in my experience it does not go off on it's own. You need to get it re-set. You can go to the dealer or invest in a Peake research tool. I bought one and it's great. It will diagnose problems and it resets the Check Engine light, Inspection light and Oil Service lights.
Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Originally posted by mech9T8@Dec 24 2004, 01:27 PM
It's hard to say, the check engine light can mean alot of things. I say you get it checked to see what the problem is. I read on these forums that you can go to Autozone and get it checked for free.
As for resetting it, in my experience it does not go off on it's own. You need to get it re-set. You can go to the dealer or invest in a Peake research tool. I bought one and it's great. It will diagnose problems and it resets the Check Engine light, Inspection light and Oil Service lights.
Hope that helps.
[snapback]257754[/snapback]​
Thanks. First time it's gone on for me. I don't want to take it to BMW only to find that it's the MAF meter or something else I can do. I'll have to order a Peake tool and check-it/reset-it myself.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.