Check Engine - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hey guys im having some problems with this car. well here it is, i was driving home yesterday and not doin any hard acceleration or anything else and check engine light came on, so i was like wtf and i pulled over and checked under the engine bay and everything seems fine no leaks or anything nothing smoking.. so i called my local mechanic and brought it to him and he hooked up this little reader and it said that theres a valve leak. so anyways he looked around and suggested maybe its the gas cap so we just took it off and put it back on.. then the check engine turned off used so i thought everything is fine. and now on my way to work it turned back on and i did everything like yesterday and now it wouldnt turn off... s it possible that the gas cap is broken or what.. any ideas?? (sorry if it dragged on) thanks in advance

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by akolang@Jan 25 2005, 05:54 PM
hey guys im having some problems with this car. well here it is, i was driving home yesterday and not doin any hard acceleration or anything else and check engine light came on, so i was like wtf and i pulled over and checked under the engine bay and everything seems fine no leaks or anything nothing smoking.. so i called my local mechanic and brought it to him and he hooked up this little reader and it said that theres a valve leak. so anyways he looked around and suggested maybe its the gas cap so we just took it off and put it back on.. then the check engine turned off used so i thought everything is fine. and now on my way to work it turned back on and i did everything like yesterday and now it wouldnt turn off... s it possible that the gas cap is broken or what.. any ideas?? (sorry if it dragged on) thanks in advance
[snapback]279077[/snapback]
it is very possible indeed. OBD2 cars have a system called evaporative recovery sytem, its function is to prevent gas vapors form gettin onto the atmosphere, so a leaky gas cap definetily will trigger the system.

but you can also have a problem on the gas vapor recovery system.. eaither a bad vacuum pipe or something like it that runs from the tank to the engine, there is also the carbon canister, this thing holds the vapors on them and wen you start the car there is a valve, called a purge valve tha lets the gases get into the manifold and be burner away..

do a search on the web there are information about this.,.

any question ask,


have a good one

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
oh.. but um is this bad for the car can it damage the car seriously?? as of right now i dont have any spare cash to have it fixed, and at the dealer will probably cost me an arm and a leg.. so will it be ok to just drive around like this, nothing really seems wrong with the car same exact as before except the annoying Check Engine light... and i think what the lil machine said exactly was
"Valve Leak (small)"

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:50 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by akolang@Jan 26 2005, 01:55 AM
oh.. but um is this bad for the car can it damage the car seriously?? as of right now i dont have any spare cash to have it fixed, and at the dealer will probably cost me an arm and a leg.. so will it be ok to just drive around like this, nothing really seems wrong with the car same exact as before except the annoying Check Engine light... and i think what the lil machine said exactly was
"Valve Leak (small)"
[snapback]279482[/snapback]
i dont know what are the effects of going aroung like this, but it should be a hassle to look around for the gas tubing and enure that is properly seal..

also i was reading about the pumps and the gas level sender unit, after year the plastic around the conector base on the seding unit cracks, leading to leaks.. so check underneat the rear seat if the seals for the pump are good and that there ano no crack.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
damn.. this car been causin me probs lately lol, thanks for the replies.... no one else have any idea what this could be or what effects it can have on the car?? thanks

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by akolang@Jan 26 2005, 09:53 AM
damn.. this car been causin me probs lately lol, thanks for the replies.... no one else have any idea what this could be or what effects it can have on the car?? thanks
[snapback]279542[/snapback]
honestly is something very minor like a cracked tube, or seal that goes bad on the fuel system./.

i believe you can buy a product that pretty much puts a white smoke on the system, so where there are leaks you should se it..

also check the engine purge valve, that one that lets gas vapors go from carbon canister to engine manifold./ maybe it went bad and is on the open position., or dirty and not sealing properly./.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hmm dunno if it'll help but i think ill check the lil vacuum on the rear side that use to operate the little butterfly on the exhaust, i have an aftermarket one so ill check that vacuum hose... though i read some similar post thats happenin to me such as when i take the cap off i feel no pressure, and the cap justs comes off easily...

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by akolang@Jan 26 2005, 10:32 AM
hmm dunno if it'll help but i think ill check the lil vacuum on the rear side that use to operate the little butterfly on the exhaust, i have an aftermarket one so ill check that vacuum hose... though i read some similar post thats happenin to me such as when i take the cap off i feel no pressure, and the cap justs comes off easily...
[snapback]279558[/snapback]
if you have and aftermarket or performance exaust and you dont use the vacuum pipe by the tube, then make sure that pipe is cap off.

and it is very weird that the gas cap shows no pressure...

you should try replacing it with another good one.

i dont belice that is expensive, and it can normally be something small like that..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ya i plugged that one shut, and the first time it happened, the light went off after re-sealing the gas cap but the 2nd time around it didnt go away.. perhaps that is it... should i just buy a new one at the dealership or might as well have them checked... or just take out the lil bulb cheapest of all lol

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 06:28 PM
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clemson, South Carolina
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by akolang@Jan 26 2005, 03:27 PM
ya i plugged that one shut, and the first time it happened, the light went off after re-sealing the gas cap but the 2nd time around it didnt go away.. perhaps that is it... should i just buy a new one at the dealership or might as well have them checked... or just take out the lil bulb cheapest of all lol
[snapback]279713[/snapback]
dotn take the bulb out, because youll need it if comething else comes up,

gas caps are cheap, look on www.bavauto.com

and if you can get a decent quote form dealer to check the system for you them go for it..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
victorgallas is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
hmm well one night the light just turned off... good thing i didnt take it to the dealer

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
#12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 02:33 PM
5th Gear Member
 
Rooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
it's nothing bad, only thing it does is it affects your emissions.


VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline  
#13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member
 
akolang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
akolang is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
damn it.... light came back on again....
hmm i noticed though that it turned off, when i filled it up but not immediately... maybe after driving for awhile.. then it turned back on when it was nearing empty.... guess ill see what happens next if it'll turn off or stay on... its frustrating seeing that light, i really hope i dont have to take it in the the dealer

<img src='http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/uploads/photo-2215.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
My 328i
akolang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying 1997 Bmw 318i - Need Your Help! newbmw 3-Series (E36) 7 09-06-2005 09:04 PM
check engine maru 3-Series (E21, E30) 0 08-23-2004 08:55 PM
BMW P83 Engine triggrhaapi Bimmer Talk/Motorsports Talk 0 07-21-2003 03:03 PM
service questions thamindzzeye 3-Series (E36) 4 04-30-2003 03:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome