BMW Werkz banner

check coolant level message

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  dark_islight 
#1 ·
I just replaced the radiator on my (to me) 1998 323i. Before and particular since this, check-control tells me to the check the coolant level. I took it back to the mechanic and he indeed noticed the coolant level was too low and one of the clamps to the heater hose was not tight. Coolant was added and the clamp was tightened, but the light still goes on. Has anybody had similar problems? Is the computer “overly” sensitive (as my mechanic suggests) or do I have a con-tinued problem?? Ray

#3 ·
drive it for a bit, and if it doesnt go away like jllphan said, then your problem has to be the sensor

#5 ·
Seems like a popular problem on all the message boards :banghead .

This is what happens when the factory seal leaks water to the reed relay inside the sensor body :wtf .

Note that the rad coolant does not cause this problem its from water and corrosion attacking from outside the bottom of the sensor where the large plastic nut is.

I just went through the same problem with my 92 e36 325i.

Change the sensor if jiggling the float in the overflow tank doesn't solve the problem.

dark_islight

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.