changing starter on a 4 cylinder - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to cymorg Send a message via AIM to cymorg Send a message via MSN to cymorg Send a message via Yahoo to cymorg
changing starter on a 4 cylinder

I have a 1996 318is (thats 4 cylinder). I bought a new starter for like 190 or so from BavAuto, hoping/thinking I could get it changed with some help using the Bentley Manual instructions. This was not the case. Help!

Bentley Service Manual instructions:

1.) Disconnect battery
2.) Remove guide tube for oil dipstick.
3.) Raise vehicle.
4.) Disconnect wiring from starter.
5.) Remove top and bottom starter bolts. Bottom bolt must be removed from below car. Remove starter support bracket if applicable.
6.) Pull starter downward until solenoid is at top, then remove from car.
7.) Check starter pinion gear and flywheel teeth for damage.
8.) Installation is reverse of removal.

Okay, so I got to about Step #5 and had problems. I can't get to either of the bolts. I can FEEL the bolt closer to the driver side of the car, but not the bolt closer to the passenger side. Also, it would have been miserable trying to get my hand in there with a tool of some sort to try and remove it.

Is there another way or a trick to getting these off? Is there a compartment or a door or something from inside the dash I don't know about that would make the starter more accessible?

Have any of you guys changed one of these before? Any comments or tips are greatly appreciated as I will be resorting to paying tons and going to the dealership for help.

Thanks
cymorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
cymorg is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to cymorg Send a message via AIM to cymorg Send a message via MSN to cymorg Send a message via Yahoo to cymorg
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...anging+starter

the guy at the end of this thread says you have to drop the transmission. i think i can see how that would help, but seems like extra work.
cymorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
i did this and i had to have an extension om my ratchet that was like 1.5' to get the ratchet to where i could use it. i took me like three hours to do because of the piss poor spot it was in. i am a really fast worker too, so you will just have to take your time and keep lugging away at it. if i can remember correctly, the wire connections took me just as much time to do as the replacement. the main trick or thing that helped the most was the super long extension and a universal joint would not be a bad idea. just getting the socket on the bolts was a huge chore and a royal pain in the ass. hope this helps.
polaris448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
THAT IS A b*** TO DO. I left this job when I needed a clutch job to the tranny job. I'm a hardcore DIY person and this was like F**** this, so I gave up and gave it to the tranny shop. The best you can do is buy the extensions for your sockets and go at it.
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1995 BMW 325I
Photos:
325IConvertible is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325IConvertible
I dont have a clue if a 4 cylinder is any different than a 6 but on my 6 I had to remove everything from the airbox all the way down to the starter which is located on the driver side at the very bottom.
325IConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
polaris448 is an unknown quantity at this point
nah the starter on the 318 is on the top of the tranny just to the left side if i remember correctly. no airbox removal here.
polaris448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)