BMW Werkz banner

Changing Oil Filter Housing Gasket and O-Ring

37K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  moapys 
#1 ·
My car was leaking alot of oil, turned out the oil filter housing gasket and o-rings were the cause. A mechanic charged me 2.5 hours of labour + parts to do this job. However another mechanic told me it can be done in 1 hour. Did I get ripped off, has anyone replaced this gasket and o-rings.

#3 ·
some mechanics will do 2,3 even 4 car repairs at once with assistants staying to the car will charge how much it took to fix all the cars for big jobs. Which is why some people are charged for 15 hours of work on a trany replacment. When it can be done in 5 even 3 hours if rushed.

#9 ·
All - I've begun the research on this job, and seem to find a "50/50" opinion on whether or not the fan/clutch needs to be pulled to provide access (2000 323i): I'd like to avoid removing this, if not absolutely necessary, due to what appears to be the need for a custom tool to lock the assembly prior to unbolting it... I have fairly small paws, so would prefer just removing the other items (airbox, alt, ps reservior, etc) - but if it's needed, I need to set about acquiring the special long clutch leverage tool.

'Thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.