Changing gears without clutch ? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 01:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
Unhappy

Hey guys
I was with a friend this weekend, he has a heavily modified acura integra and he would change his gears sometimes without the clutch cuz he said he could match the revs for the gears. he used the clutch to put the car in 1st and after that he upshifted all the way to 4th without the clutch. He said it is possible on any car. I have been driving stick for a while now but did not know this and was quite surprised.

Have any of you tried it or do it on the bmws ? if so can I get some tips...dont wanna break my gearbox.
thanks
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Q_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
its possible yes....its also very bad for the tranny. its also usually a sign the shift linkages and bushings and what nots are giong bad or already shot.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
his clutch and tranny are fine and everything is great in his car. As for what I understand , he said it is completely healthy to do this and he does it to uppshift quicker and claims it is not gonna damage anything significantly. He was very cool about it and was surprised that i didnt know i could do it.
Q

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
Old 06-29-2004, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
i had a friend who could do it..

the biggest problem will be learning to do it...

its just a matter of knowing your car and when/how to do it....
Old 06-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
you can do it. But how many times are you going to grind the gears trying to find the right time to shift? Probably a lot.
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey
ya , thats why i was wondering if anyone in here did it and could give me some tips ? if i do it wrong would it just snap outof gear or could it potentially break my gear box ?
Q

Old 06-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
ok, here it goes ;
this is possible on any car.

1st; get the car rolling, and begin to accelerate SLOWLY.
2nd; pay attention to RPM's
3rd; when they reach 3500rpm hook 2 fingers aroundthe outside of the shift knob
o; (knob)
u (YOU) kinda like that,

D; GENTLY, VERY GENTLY, ease the lever into neutral between 1st and 2nd(keep it there)
5; now u have to fan the throttle t get the RPM's up to 4000
6; while they begin to drop start to gently ease the shifter into 2nd keeping
light/steady pressure constsntly.
(dont puss out if u r going to do it, or u will hurt the gears, go 4 it)
it will feel like the shifter is not going for a second, then WATCH as the car hits 3500RPM's it will magicly just pop itself in gear!
7th; wipe the grin off, and drive away.
then; repeat for next gears.

remember, it is only a soft/constant pressure needed to POP the gears ino place, DO NOT TRY TO FORCE IT. if it dosn't go, u r doing something wrong & u should stop trying.
I CLAIM NO RESPONSABILITY FOR TRANNY'S ON THE GROUND or other car/bodily injuries.

the reason it works is that 3500 rpm's the teeth on gear and the clutch are at sync speed(they move at the same speed) therefore u can ease it into gear when u hit it right. no clutch required.

if u r really a bada$$(or really stupid), then u will be able to get the car rolling w/out the clutch! oh yeah, this also works at 7000rpm's! im not joking!

again: DO NOT FORCE IT, EASE, IT IN! (like a woman) Its ur car not a $2 hooker, u r not trying to break it!
not everyone will be able to do this, its a finesse thing. my dad taught me this when i was 15 and it is good to know if ur clutch ever goes out in the middle of BFE,
have fun, enjoy.
Mark
Speedy-325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Hey
thanks a ton speedy, will try it soon. So is 3500rpm the sync speed for all cars or jus bmws ? or is it more about finding out the true synch speed for everycar thru experience ?
Q

Old 06-29-2004, 02:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
"like a woman" "finesse thing"
Jesus christ.... I hate these co-relations with driving cars.

Commentary aside, (sorry, just CAN NOT stand those terms) what Speedy-325is said will work, but I don't recommend doing it as the transmission wasn’t designed to do this. Yes, shifting gears while moving is very possible and wont damage the transmission if you do it correctly (IE: very smoothly, no jerky car lurches) then you won't tear anything up. The key is RPM matching, and usually isn't consistent at 3500 rpm all the way up.

If your not careful or do it too much, you'll grind the dog teeth\synchros all to hell. Starting the car without the clutch turns the synchros into a full blown clutch... Bad. They weren’t designed to do this much clutching, especially under such a heavy torque load. If your gearbox's sychros have worn down or you shift it too hard, you’ll grind the shit out of the dog teeth, which is even worse and you'l hear that noise you hear when you "grind the gears" (it's the dog teeth, not the actual gears, BTW, unless you *really* screwed somthing up )

I think howstuffworks has a good article on how manual transmissions work. It's always good to know what exactly you are doing to the transmission when you shift like this.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
I've actually found it's faster to shift with the clutch. The only time when shifting without the clutch becomes practical is in racing if you left-foot brake. It also comes in hand if you lose your clutch, but the chances of that are like 1 to 1000.

Kevin

&quot;WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay.&quot;
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
soooo sorry bitcore, i didnt know some guys gave their cars guys names.
my cars name is Trixxy. . .she's my B tch!

but im predicting someone wil not listen to the warnings
you and i have posted and will be asking how to fix their tranny very soon.
then we get to laugh :nana

KEVIN: u r right, its always better/faster to drive ur car how its supposed to b driven.
techniques like this, and others(like hotwiring) are for emergencies only.
(most of the time)

Mark
Old 06-29-2004, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Just to add my $.02.....

This can be done with any car, and no there is not a universal RPM. Each car's gearing differs as does the proper RPM with which to shift. Upon purchasing my current whip, I was eager to let my dad's neighbor drive it. He buys 2-3 cars a year and is very knowledgeable on how to "drive" practically anything.

We took a spin, and he never touched the clutch, not even from a dead standstill. It was pretty sweet seeing someone like that do it properly with my car.

Based on what I saw, and consequently learned, there is no procedure that can be written down for all to read and then reproduce. You just have to feel it. Much like what Speedy posted, nothing is forced, one must learn where the car wants to be shifted. I tried it a few times, and the only use I see for it is showing off....it is pretty cool though.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jllphn
Old 06-29-2004, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
... Wish I *HAD* a manual so I could try it.... :P

Quote:
soooo sorry bitcore, i didnt know some guys gave their cars guys names.
my cars name is Trixxy. . .she's my B tch!
No no it's alright, I'm just OCD about those few terms, just can't take it for some reason. I guess my dad used them when he was trying to teach me how to drive stick and he'd get angry at the slightest thing. Whateva.

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
i know what u r saying. understandable. VERY.
it is just that i learn very well when i read it if i can relate it to something
i know alot about. i guess to you its annoying kinda like for me i think its stupid when people who hate all religon use the terms "goddammit", or "jesus christ"

i am just trying to emphasize how important it is that anyone attempting this does
so VERY gently. btw, whats OCD?

(im not saying that to you, but in general, i dunno what u believe,
and it doesn't really matter)

peace out
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)