BMW Werkz banner

Change ATF, Pro or Con?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Turbodefrost 
#1 ·
Some people said we don't need to change ATF for E36 model because its lifetime with the car and will damage the tranny. However, I heard some members changed ATF and their car still running well with out any problems. Just wondering should we change the ATF?

The reason that I start this thread because my 95 E36 have some problem on the tranny. The problem is sometime the car running like in "N" but actually is in "D", only the rpm rise but the car cannot go. A mechanic told me I should not change ATF but it does this happen before I change ATF. He said this problem can be fix but now you changed the ATF. The only way is replace a new tranny.

Any members, Bimmer's expert, and machanic can share their opinion?

#2 ·
I just bought a '95 318i with 115,000 miles and it my habit to change all the fluids when I buy a used car. When I researched this trans-topic it was clear to me at least that many had opinions but no one had any facts.

In my case I decided to skip changing the trans fluid because I was pretty sure that it had been done as part of the BMW maintenance or warranty claim on the trans on my car at about 60,000 miles.

The Haynes manual describes it as a pretty ordinary change except for, get the car perfectly level, and then, recheck the fluid level when the trans is warm not hot at 105 to 135 degrees. If you do a search you will get plenty of advice.

If the trans is slipping in your car, it is way too late for a fluid change to make any difference. But maybe the gear selector is a little off, so look closely at that first, from end to end. Troubleshooting hierarchy: first look at mechanical objects, second at fluids, and third at electrics.

#4 ·
Read This Thread
and read This thread
and finally, check This thread...
BTW, Be sure you havn't engaged the manual gear selection mode, (the switch next to the gear selecter with A and M on it, should light up when M is pressed) otherwise the transmission wont shift gears until you tell it to. If that's not the problem, Try driving the car in manual mode, shift gears just like you would in a manual car (you don't have to let off the accelerator when shifting, it does that for you) and see if it "slips" as bad.

I have this slipping problem too. I self-diagnosed it to be the torque converter and I need a replacement to "fix" it.

#7 ·
I had a similar problem on my AT 93' 325i. I would lose power and it felt like the transmission was slipping. But my transmission light would come on when it happened (looks like a gear with a '!' in the middle and appears in the bottom center of your instrument panel). The dealership said it was an EPROM that needed to be upgraded and they replaced it for a couple hundred bucks. I haven't had the problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.