BMW Werkz banner

Chains or tires?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  cloaked95 
#1 ·
I've never driven a car with rear-wheel drive in the winter. I live in Washington. Any suggestions?

I know tires are a heck of lot more expensive.

#2 ·
If your tires are bald, you will likely need new ones. Winter tires are cheap, or all season are a good option. Don't put chains on your bmw.
As far as the driving goes, just take it slow and actually think of your traction situation at all times. Remember the car will understeer heavily in snow and ice. Use the ASC if you have it. If nothing else it will tell you when your wheels want to spin. If they plow the roads regularly in your area that will will help your traction greatly. Just have to worry about the salt if they use it in your area.

I have a set of good all season touring tires (90% tread Coopers) mounted on bmw 15" rims that would make good winter tires if you are interested.

#3 ·
ahh yes, the new bimmer driver in the snow.... there tons of tips that will help u driving in the snow...
for your knowledge, our cars are not to goo in the snow.. unless u are very experienced...

but yes.. tires are a must..

#7 ·
Get 4 winter tires. Get yourself 4 steel rims, 15" and put the tires on, the rims are about $40 each, it'll cost you at least that much to mount and balance four tires twice a year on your current rims. You'll use the tires for 4 winters as long as you remember to rotate and your rims/mags won't get messed up from the snow and salt etc. etc.. and make sure the winter tires are not very wide. 205's will be your best bet.

#10 ·
Yes lots of fun especially when going through s curves. Make sure your body is preped for the winter. If you have bad scratches on your paint have it "lightly sand then they put on 1 to 2 coats then clear coats. It costs anywhere between 500-1000 depending on how well you know your autobody shop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.