BMW Werkz banner

Ceramic Brake Pads??

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  NeverLeaned 
#1 ·
Just need a new set of brake pads for my car. I saw ceramic but i remember reading something about they sucked? can anyone confirm this

#6 ·
I would match a good set up ceramic pads with a really really new and high temp rated rotors... if you dont have that... you also have to look at the use of ceramic.. yea.. they are the best.. but only under certain conditions... as stated in one of the past posts....

Get normal street... or street/racing pads... ceramic pads are wayyy to much for a street car.. unless you are going to drive more on a track... than on the street...

Good Luck,

Les

#8 ·
Originally posted by mmclaren@Apr 4 2005, 05:53 PM
Just need a new set of brake pads for my car. I saw ceramic but i remember reading something about they sucked? can anyone confirm this
[snapback]325523[/snapback]​
If this is a street driven car, do not fall for the ceramic, reason is that ceramic must be hot to work efficiently, they make a lot of noise until warm. Also and this is the big problem that shows up later. IF you use ceramic pads on regular rotors, youll simply eat ure rotors away and warp them from heat, that is the first issue, then comes the others, the extra heat will, im not kidding here, damage your seals on the caliper, the seals are made of rubber and other materials and they are designed to withstand up to a certain working temperature, therefore youll damage the seals, and the calipers itself, since damage seals makes calipers to become frozen,. they dont retract.

And lastly, the extra heat generated will easily decrease your bearing life, since you will put heat on it and slowly, damage its internal grease , therefore the bearing.

Ceramic pads are for racing, reason being, they need to be hot, and when they are in use, everything around them must be made to work with them.. keep that in mind, so you dont have future problems.

#9 ·
Cermaics aren't really for street. If you do auto-crossing/racing then by all means upgrade and deal with mushy breaks while they get up to temp on the street.

Otherwise, there are plently of great upgrade pads for your car. Consider PBR(axxis) Deluxes or Ultimates.

I noticed nice improvements with the Deluxes & Zimmerman X drilled rotors.

You really should consider pads that are suited to your driving needs.... Where-as cermanics are excellent if you like to stomp on brake late in a corner @100mph, you'll probaby find that they are no better then stock in most situtations (because they just don't get hot enough running on the street)

#10 ·
Originally posted by NeverLeaned@Apr 6 2005, 10:20 AM
Cermaics aren't really for street. If you do auto-crossing/racing then by all means upgrade and deal with mushy breaks while they get up to temp on the street.

Otherwise, there are plently of great upgrade pads for your car. Consider PBR(axxis) Deluxes or Ultimates.

I noticed nice improvements with the Deluxes & Zimmerman X drilled rotors.

You really should consider pads that are suited to your driving needs.... Where-as cermanics are excellent if you like to stomp on brake late in a corner @100mph, you'll probaby find that they are no better then stock in most situtations (because they just don't get hot enough running on the street)
[snapback]326590[/snapback]​

Again i support what he says,
i have Brembo cross drilled and pagid regular brake pads, honestly, best deal.,
The regular pads are quieter, work great for street use. They may not last long, but then again brake pads are a joke to replace, so its not a big deal..
O yeah and its been 2 years since ive replaced them..

#12 ·
Typo.... that was supposed to be metal-masters..

thanks for correcting :)

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.