CD Changer installation HELP - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 06:40 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jerico is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
CD Changer installation HELP

Guys,

another newbie question... i got a second hand Radio Unit with cd Changer but there is no installation guide for it (wiring diagrams etc..). appreciate any advise.. and also.. where is the best place to put the cd changer ? Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:47 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I assume you mean the OEM changer? The wires should be there in a "buslink" where you install the radio. You might have to reach back in there to find them. The link easily attaches, but you might have a hard time getting the security piece to close all the way (you'll see what I mean when you find the buslink). The CD changer gets mounted above the battery in your trunk. There should be a black cable somewhere in your trunk, it may be under the upholstery so it may take a little looking to find it. You can get a mounting bracket from the stealership for around 20ish dollars (if I remember correctly). Just make sure you take the changer with you and make sure that you find the plug in the trunk first. 92-95 used a round plug (I think) and 96-99 used a square plug. If you have the wrong type of changer, then unfortunately there is not a way to make that work (not saying you can't rewire it, but big pain).

edit: On the front sides of the OEM radio unit, there are two flaps. Pull them up and you find a bolt under each with a very very tiny star shaped head. In order to keep the unit from falling out you need to tighten these bolts. The size is very unusual, you can buy the right size from bavauto, or if you know the guys at the stealership well enough then you can get them to do it for free. If not they will try to charge you one hour labor.

Last edited by thekid; 11-11-2006 at 10:50 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Hamfisted is on a distinguished road
What year is the car?

Jerico what year is the car you're installing into?
If it's '96 or later the wiring harness is already in the car. If it's earlier you'll have to run wiring and I wouldn't bother with a stock BMW unit 'cause they are junk : . Really regardless I think you're better off getting a modern stereo that's multi-platform capable. One that will play your iPod, CD's, MP3's etc.... and give you better sound to boot. The old C33 stereos were terrible. But anyway here's a pic of the front of one I took out. Use a 2mm allen wrench to loosen the retaining screw on either side and it just slides out.

-Mike

#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
sorry forgot to put details on my car. its '93 320i. i have attached some pics of the stereo, the cd changer is also a blaupunkt with harness connecting to the Head unit, it also comes with a mounting bracket.. a friend of mine also gave me another connector aside from the picture shown. I think the second connector is for cd changer purposes. i just have to figure how to install this system. as "thekid" mentioned, the location for cd changer is on the trunk above the battery and this is beside the first kit?.. appreciate the advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00375.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	24872   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00376.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	24873  

Last edited by jerico; 11-11-2006 at 10:39 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Antique...

Wow that's an old one. Its just an old basic aftermarket Blaupunkt probably over 15 years old. Really not worth messing with. I really would just get a new stereo with iPod capability and forgo the hassle of the CD changer install. The CD changers weren't that good either. Today it's MP3's and iPods. Take a look at the Blaupunkt Bahama model over at Crutchfield. For about $150 you get to play everything . Crutchfield Online

-Mike

#6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
wiring designations

guess i ll have to go to mp3 compatible player.. anyway, i have attached the wirings.. i just need to know the wiring designation for my car.. any information from this will be appreciated...
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00377.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	24878   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00378.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	24879  
#7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Uh....

Uh, you didn't really chop the wiring harness did you? :

Professional installations would use a Metra harness adapter and save the factory harness and plug.

Metra Stereo Adapter - BMW 3 series

You can find the Metra adapters at almost any car stereo shop for about $10. You need the 70-8590 adapter.

But anyway. To try and salvage the installation you can find the plug pin-out information here: E36 stereo pin-out info

Try and use heat shrink sealable butt connectors on all your splices. You can find them at Lowes, and sometimes at Walmart. You'll need a heat gun to seal them correctly, don't use a match or cig lighter.

-Mike
#8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Guys thanks for the advise here.
i was thinking of keeping the CD changer for more storage. Is my car fitted with cd changer wiring? I was looking on the right rear corner ( Tailalmp side) but could not find it. Are there any guide on how to rewire it just in case there is no prewired harness? Any advise would be appreciated.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

No pre-wiring....

No your '93 320i is most likely not pre-wired for the trunk mounted CD changer. They started that in '96 on. The factory places little round badges in the trunk if the car is pre-wired for those accessories. I would just buy a new stereo that plays your iPod and MP3's, CDs, CD-RWs etc.... You'll be a lot happier in the end. You'll probably end up upgrading your speakers too.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)