Car Feels Wobbly In Rear Wheels At 50 Mph! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

My 1995 318i has taken a beaten on NYC pot hole ridden streets. Before I got my Rondell alloys I was replacing or fixing bent steel wheels and flat tires at least twice a month from the streets. Since my alloys I've had no probs. But lately my drive has become more and more harsh and feels as if the tires are about to roll off. Last night I was on the Long Island Expressway going 50-70 mph and my rear wheels started to feel very wobbly as if they were coming off the axel or something. I don't think its the road cause I drive thru there daily.

Also a week ago I discovered my right rear tire had absolutely NO air (for no apparent reason)after being fine a few days before and this week that same tire was a little lower on air than it should've been. I checked the rims and it seems fine. But that tire may be leaking somewhere. Could this be the problem?

Another suspicion I have is I may need new shocks or struts? Since 1996 (when the car was first driven) they were never replaced. Is it time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	678367_9.gif
Views:	91
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	12986  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 05:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently had a dented rim that was leaking air, and it and would slowly go flat. Does the ride feel "wobbly" the most around 40-65mph? dented or out of balance rims usually shake them most between those speeds.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by wulley1@Oct 3 2004, 03:28 PM
I recently had a dented rim that was leaking air, and it and would slowly go flat. Does the ride feel "wobbly" the most around 40-65mph? dented or out of balance rims usually shake them most between those speeds.
[snapback]204109[/snapback]
Yeah. What are "out of balanced rims"? Could that be it? How much to fix that?

Also would out of balanced rims be more sensitive to potholes and rough terrain?

#4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 07:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's usually about $10 a tire to have it spin balance. The use a machine to spin the wheel to check if the weight is equaly blanced. If it's not, they add a few grams to the light spots to balance it out.

If the rim is really dented, they won't be able to spin balance it.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
ha...drive out to hempstead. I'll show you a wobbly rear. With my control arm as is....yeah.

In your siruation, my fist guess is the tire is bad. If you have a road hazzard, use it to get a new one or that one repaired. If not...check it over very well. Other things would be bad alignment or loose wheel. Alignment is my issue. Also, with the steets here, your RSMs could be gone, but unrelated to the problem at hand.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear Member

bad man working is an unknown quantity at this point
You say you were repairing dent steel wheels regally and now you have fitted alloys. When you damage a steel wheel you can see it with an alloy they crack, these cracks can be hair-line and impossible to see try immersing the wheel and tyre complete in water to see if its porous if you have cracked a wheel Id go back to steel wheels for safety reasons (cracked alloys can shatter without warning especially at speed)

Bad Man Working
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)