BMW Werkz banner

Car cranks but doesn't start

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  EXtech 
#1 ·
I am a new owner of a 92 325i, today I started the car, it started fine and I drove it for about 3 minutes, then I pull it into the garage. I started to mess with the AMP in the back and changed the location of the ground. Then I tried to start the car, it cranked, started then died immediatly. Ever since then it just cranks but doesn't ever start. I Put the AMP ground back to where it was and it still doesn't work. Any ideas what could have gone wrong? It's also slighty raining outside. What are some things I could check out? I am totally new to BMWs so please be as detailed as possible. THANKS!!

#4 ·
Something similar happened to my 1993 325i. It was running fine until I parked it. An hour later I tried to start it and the engine turned but died right away. The Battery was good and I could hear the starter crank. I had AAA tow the car home and the first and cheapest thing I first checked was the fuel pump relay under the hood. Having a Bentley manual helps. You can change it yourself, replacement is only about $10.00 at the dealer. Car still didn't start after replacing the fuel pump relay and it turned out the fuel pump went bad.

#5 ·
The two basics to are spark and fuel. So does fuel pump when cranking and do you have a spark? When you answer that it will greatly narrow down your search for the fault.

#8 ·
leave your amp disconnected, reconnect the factory ground back to it's original spot and secure tightly. Then disconnect the batter (both cables) for 15 seconds. Touch the two cables (NOT THE BATTERY POSTS) and hold that for another 10 seconds. Then reconnect the battery.. positive first, negative second. Then try to restart the car.

#10 ·
it is very possible that you do have a faulty fuel pump. You may have sent a surge through the pump which cooked it... who knows. anything is possible with these cars. It will just have to be properly diagnosed. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.