BMW Werkz banner

Cai Install - Ebay Junk?

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  mmzcee 
#1 ·
Ok so I bought a CAI off ebay, it comes with a washable filter, MAF adapter and a plastic washer for the MAF adapter. This did not come with instructions and I have a few questions.

1. What do I do with the temp sensor (I think that what it is) that goes into the air box and has coolant lines running to it?

2. Whats this adpter thing for? Do I take apart my MAF and install this instead?

3. Anyone have a write up on all this? I searched and couldn't find one.

Thanks- heres the auction I won it off of - I know, I know but it was so cheap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

#2 ·
okay so all you bought was an intake filter pretty much this isnt CAi or even really short ram intake... but what you are going to do is take your stock airbox after the MAF you will use the mounting adapter thing and put that at the end of the MAF with that all in place the filter head will go right into that hole and you will use the clamp thing to tighten it down. You will need a flat head screwdriver to tighten the clamp and you should be golden.. it should take about 10 min at the most to put on

David

#5 ·
Originally posted by bigred318@Dec 1 2004, 05:48 PM
okay so all you bought was an intake filter pretty much this isnt CAi or even really short ram intake... but what you are going to do is take your stock airbox after the MAF you will use the mounting adapter thing and put that at the end of the MAF with that all in place the filter head will go right into that hole and you will use the clamp thing to tighten it down. You will need a flat head screwdriver to tighten the clamp and you should be golden.. it should take about 10 min at the most to put on

David
[snapback]241562[/snapback]​
No, the damn adapter does not fit on my car. I ended up going to lowe's and getting a 5 inch long coupler with 3 inch openings on both sides and that did the trick. Im going to go to a muffler shop and get a piece of pipe bent so the filter will go down further and get more cold air. Also from reading the little sensor that goes to the airbox should just be ziptied to the side of the new intake. Thanks

#6 ·
Originally posted by Speedy-325is@Dec 1 2004, 06:15 PM
ummmm what do u drive???? thats for an e30. this is e36 section..........i hope u got the right one.
[snapback]241597[/snapback]​
93 325i - its says on the ebay auction 325i though, so I thought it would fit. Oh well I got a junk 3 inch air filter shipped to my door for $20. :banghead

#9 ·
Originally posted by mmzcee@Dec 1 2004, 06:21 PM
they made e30 325i's...

I would never buy a cheap intake...I don't even plan on buying any aftermarket intake...just debaffle, and maybe a drop in k&n...
[snapback]241605[/snapback]​
Well thanks for your opinion but I can do whatever I want with my car. How about you dont post in threads unless you have some usefull knowledge on the subject. Dont come in here and tell me that you would never install a cheap intake. Whats the point of your post? Do you expect me to feel bad about it? :eek:uch

#10 ·
I've heard good things about Cosmo Racing CAI, it includes tubing, air filiter, clamps and heat shield, you can find it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5142651888&rd=1

more like a short ram intake than an actually DINAN type CAI...

you can find extended Dinan type CAIs on ebay too, around $100

also from Cosmos...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4&category=6763

I wouldn't go for those really cheap looking POS 'Mugen' CAIs, just look at the title, Mugen on a BMW?? :wtf

but if you really want a good intake, go for true Dinan, because its a widely known company, it is as good as OEM, and that means, you can keep or even raise your car value with Dinan parts.

Ooh, look at what I found... :thumbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634

#11 ·
Yeah but your missing the point here. I bought this car really cheap and I dont want to spend $150- $250 on an intake. I bet when Im done extending the filter down behind the foglight just like these expensive ones, that itll will give comperable gains in performance. Im also going to put a ceramic coating on my tubing. Maybe if this was a new, nice BMW then I wouldnt mind spending that kind of money on it but its not. Thanks for your opinion again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.