BMW Werkz banner

Buying and Installing fog lights....

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BMWJNKY 
#1 ·
Ok so i'm wanting to get fog lights on my car, and i'm wondering what is the best set to purchase if I want the OEM look and feel...

I want to have the button that is intended to turn on the fog lights and i do not want a strange non oem look like i see on ebay

also
what is involved in installing them, do I have to take out any body panels? or is it simply feeding cables? ... could i do it myself (i know little to nothing about cars electronics/ workings)

thank you
derek

#4 ·
I dont know if all E36's come with the foglight wiring harness (it should), relay, and fog light button on the airvent cluster, if they do, then it's plug and play - pop out the inserts in your bumper, screw the mounting brackets in, and plug the lights up.

If it does not come with a relay or the airvent cluster, you'll have to install those yourself.

Check: autohausaz.com, pelicanparts.com, umnitza.com, bavauto.com (in order of my personal preference) for parts.

#6 ·
check if its pre-wired. Even if it is you'll still need to buy the relay, the switch and of course the fogs. Get it all 2nd hand, otherwise they charge u stupid amounts like $70 for the switch at the stealership. and i recommend crystal fogs, thats what i have.

to check if your car is pre-wired read my post here:
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/these-fog-lights-really-hella-47088-2.html

if its not pre-wired, good luck :d

#7 ·
if my car isn't pre wired, what is it goign to take for me to wire it...
the most complicated thing ive ever done with a car's electronics is installing headlights... (unplugging and pluggin in new OEM ones...) so should this be difficult for me?

#8 ·
im sure it'll be pre-wired! just check those few things.

if not, then u need to run a wire through the firewall, which i read is the hardest part and you need to put in a fuse. there is a diy somewhere, just have a search on google.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.