buying hid kit, need some suggestions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
dementievafan is on a distinguished road
buying hid kit, need some suggestions

ok im a total noob when it comes to hids, never bought them and I don't even know which category im in(h-whatever). anyways i have a 97 bmw 328is coupe black.

1. if i get hids for headlights, should i also get hid foglights?
2. can i put hids on stock bmw headlights? stock foglights?
3. im looking for 6000k or 6500k what are some good brands and where do you recommend i buy them from?
4. what kind of hids do i need, specific category so i get the ones for my bmw.

thanks guys and if someone has hids for both fogs and headlamps plz lemme know i would liek to see a pic of how it looks, thanks again guys.
dementievafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2006, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
In order to get HIDs, you will need to replace your stock headlight housings with European-spec housings. These are glass, and have ellipsoid projectors, which is necessary to direct the light from teh HIDs. I suggest www.jlevisw.com, our sponsor, as the source for the entire setup. There are many brands, but I recommend ZKW, and a second option would be DEPO, although the quality is not on par with ZKWs. Stay away from DJ Auto.

The decision for the foglights is completely up to you. I don't know much about HID foglights -- I think Rooz had HID foglights on his 328is before he sold it. I am sure he has pictures.

6000 K is probably as high as you want to go in terms of light temperature. It is a good compromise of brightness and "white/blueness."
Old 06-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
thx good info darn so i have to give up my stock hella headlights? sob
Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
www.jlevistreetwerks.com...

He is one of our sponsers... he will help you out... check out the web site...

They have all you will need.

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 12:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
is there a cheap way to get mod my oem headlights so i can get hids, ie like just buy the ellipsoid projectors?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 318i
Photos:
wesmyth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wesmyth Send a message via Yahoo to wesmyth
cheap vs hid

I'm pretty sure that CHEAP and HID can not be used in the same sentence, paragraph or conversation. More than likely there are international laws against the combination of these words in writ.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
it is not recomended to put hid's in the stock headlamps... but you can do them...

it is SUGGESTED to buy the projecter headlights...

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 01:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
whats the science behind it, is there a big risk in blowing out the headlamps ? im planning angel eyes too, angel eyes + hids, is that excessive? i think ive gone mad

if i buy a headlight from a e36 in europe, are those stock euro ellipsoids already?

Last edited by dementievafan; 06-25-2006 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said in my first reply to your original post, the ellipsoids are completely necessary in order to properly direct the lights from the HID bulbs. Otherwise you will blind drivers, which is not only dangerous, but it can also get you pulled over and fined. Also, I can't imagine scattered light being too useful.

Angel eyes + HID is a very common setup. It is not excesive. Just look at the signatures of the peolpe how have posted in this thread -- cruzin and 97alpinem3 both have HIDs+DDE.

Yes, if you buy the headlights from an e36 in europe, those will be stock projectors already. Unless you are already there, it may not be worth the touble. Just get some locally. Where are you located? Are your headlights glass housing? Have any pics?

With regards to the DJ Auto question in your PM: I have never heard anything good about them. They are cheaper, but you get what you pay for.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
/Banned

Car: Audi
Photos:
preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
dont worry about it

Hey wats up i have a HId kit installed in my car like a week ago and it works fine with my stock headlamps and the light pattern is as good as my frineds infiniti i35 which doesnt have projector headlamps on his but it shines like his and the light is just amazing u dont even need to use ur high beams i mean the light is so powerful even using my stock Us spec headlights, just get the HId kit and let me know i am sure u will be happy..

preyash
preyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
angel eyes and euro

as far as i have read you need the euro headlights to install Angel Eyes. So your out another 200 to 400 bucks. sorry.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmyth
as far as i have read you need the euro headlights to install Angel Eyes. So your out another 200 to 400 bucks. sorry.
I had forgotten about that. True, you will not be able to fit in angel eyes with the stock US spec headlights.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ic good info guys, now its either zkw or depos, hmmmm
Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmyth
lol, give me a break i just bought another e36
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Photos:
breaking off a piece of that kit kat

sorry about that whole, "you need euro ellipsoids to get angel eyes" thing. Just think how my wallet feels. I am getting a second job just to pay for my BMW addiction. I swear that cars is like crack. You start to take care of it and BAM! Your shelling out money for wax, clay bars, buffers, new headlights, leather cleaner, saddle soap, various car parts, all on top of regular maintainance. Well at least i'm not robbing banks, all whacked on the scooby snacks.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)