Buying 98 328is. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
bimerok is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys,

Im going to buy 98 328is and woundering is there anything specific i should pay attantion to?
I currently own 91 325 E30 and know the basic stuff to look for in bimmers. So if there is something to look for in 328, please let me know.

Thanks,
Leo.
bimerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
Hey Leo,
I bought a '96 328i and my check engine light came on due to my secondary air pump which failed. My car had 85,000 miles on it. I heard on a good bit of the 328's or maybe it's just the 6 cyl engines, that the secondary air pump goes out and it's like a $500 dollar fix . At least on mine it was... yeesh, otherwise the car was great, best car I've driven. Hope this helps
Mike
mikester328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Corkoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mikester318@Jan 25 2004, 04:28 PM
Hey Leo,
I bought a '96 328i and my check engine light came on due to my secondary air pump which failed. My car had 85,000 miles on it. I heard on a good bit of the 328's or maybe it's just the 6 cyl engines, that the secondary air pump goes out and it's like a $500 dollar fix . At least on mine it was... yeesh, otherwise the car was great, best car I've driven. Hope this helps
Mike
I just now posted my problem with water in my secondary air pump. I have water in it that caused it to fail. I replaced it but it filled up again and now I am running around with a disabled air pump. Do you have water coming from the snorkel into the front engine compartment? I suspect a clogged AC condensation drain - my mech says its serious because if water backs up it could get the computer!! Let me know.
Corkoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
Corkoman,
What I know (which may not be right but...) about the secondary air pump is that it only has something to do with emissions coming from your tailpipe. Without the pump, your car may not pass emissions in certain states. If sometime you start up your car, and all of a sudden hear a rumbling sound coming from your pump, it'll get louder and louder until you get it fixed... I'm not sure what 'fixing' it means, if it means to get another entire pump or to just get all the water out. I actually sold my car without having to fix it as it wasn't acting up... but the owner who has it now will have to replace it in the near future probably... heh.

If anyone else knows about secondary air pumps I'd like to know.
Mike
mikester328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
bimerok is an unknown quantity at this point
What exactly is that secondary air pump? I've never hear of it. May be because i owned 91 e30 and it didn't have it.
Thanks,
Leo
bimerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)