Buying an '98 328i, need opinions... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
(Thread Starter)
Buying an '98 328i, need opinions...

I just drove a '98 328i and I really like it, but I need some opinions before I go buy it.

Here's its listing:
ksl.com - KSL Car Classifieds

but for those who are too lazy to follow that link, here are the pics:

She's asking $4,987.

There are a couple scratches and rock chips that are to be expected on a 10 year old car. the interior is in good shape. The leather is old but no cracks or tears. there are some scratches on the leather.

145k miles.

The only 2 things that concern me is 1) there's a tiny spot of rust on a door. It's about 1/4 of a dime in size. and 2) the check engine light is on and they haven't gotten it checked out. They said the check engine light goes on and off.

It's dirty, but with a detail she could look a few years younger...

If I offer her $4,500 do you think that's a fair price?

Thanks!

Last edited by yammahamma; 11-22-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:30 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
i would thinki so, but tell her you want to take it to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. the rust is a point of concern, mileage isn't too bad, sounds reasonable for the national average per year...other than that she looks clean and straight, interior seems well kept. $4.5k sounds reasonable.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:35 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I'd say $4.5k is a good offer. I also suggest that you spend teh $100 or so that it will cost to get a mechanic to insect the car/read the codes. The 328i is a great car. You will enjoy it

#4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:40 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Looks like it may be a very good find!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:39 PM

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
(Thread Starter)
Does anyone have a carfax account??

#6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
what are you going to do with your awesome convertible?

#7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 06:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
What does this light mean?

I'm guessing its the same thing as the "check" light on an e30....the one telling you to look at your OBC. am I right? I know the car was low on washer fluid....

as far as the vert, denyo77, I might keep it...I might sell it...I might give it to my little bro...don't know yet...

#8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
That is the traction control (ASC+T) light. Is it always on? That is not good. I think it should be off when you start the car . In any case, the green ASC+T button should toggle the light. If the indicator is on, that meas that traction control is disabled. The light will come on intermittently whenever traction control engages during driving.

#9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
What's the transmission service history?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Good question Teh Prof......yammahamma find out when the trans was last serviced, they are due @ about 90 k & the traction control light will stay on when the traction control button is depressed off......just press it down once & see if it goes off....car running.....Car looks nice though....

johnny,

#11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:04 PM

(Thread Starter)
I drove her again today...

Needs new brakes and rotors...and the steering wheel makes a noise when turning it.

I was just imagining the ASC light...it wasn't on today. The switch toggled it on and off...phew.

And the Check Engine codes are: P1421, P1423

#12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Power steering fluid may be low.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 02:36 PM

(Thread Starter)
It's the wheel itself which is making the noise...I think it just needs a little grease. You think it's the fluid tho?

So those codes could mean a new secondary air pump and valve...from bavauto that'll run about $380.

My real question is, does anyone know if this model comes with seat warmers? I thought every Bimmer did. I've forgotten to check both times i've driven it...any thoughts?

#14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator

johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
It's the wheel itself which is making the noise...I think it just needs a little grease. You think it's the fluid tho?

So those codes could mean a new secondary air pump and valve...from bavauto that'll run about $380.

My real question is, does anyone know if this model comes with seat warmers? I thought every Bimmer did. I've forgotten to check both times i've driven it...any thoughts?
I am pretty sure they were optional......

Heated Front Seats*
Heated front seats are optional in all 3 Series models except the 318ti, all 5 Series models, and the 740i/iL. In the 750iL and 8 Series, they are standard.
The 3- and 8 Series heated seats have two stages of heating and a timer. To preclude their being left on inadvertently, the timer automatically reduces heat from stage 2 to stage 1 after 4.5 minutes, and switches it off after 36 minutes.

The 5- and 7 Series heated seats have continuously variable heating, and the 750iL has heated front and rear seats as standard equipment.

*All except 318ti.

BMW World - 1997 Ergonomics, Luxury and Convenience

johnny,

#15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
dang....so here's the real question....is that a good enough reason to not buy it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)