buying 318is w/ no engine or ecu - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lrn99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thinking about buying a '93 5-speed 318is w/ a blown engine an no ecu... I already checked into an engine and found a long block w/ 74k for $800 shipped and ecu for $300 shipped w/ 30day warranty. They are asking $1600 for the car. The a/c compressor seems to be missing and other misc parts. The body is straight. Paint needs to be buffed out, but other than that no dents or rust. The windshield has a crack. It has some after market wheels not of my taste but they'll do for now. Tires look to have a lot of meat left in them. Interior has some other minor defects. The seats are worn from the sun and there is a tear on the driver side. The sun roof controls are hanging from the ceiling of the car. Need to some help, what do you think? Is it a good project? Need some help finding other parts or advice. Hondas is where most of my knowledge is at, but looking to branch out and conquer something else. Any advice will be greatly appreciated, Thanx in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 PM
n00b

lrn99 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Bump to get this moving.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 02:56 PM
4th Gear Member

BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
it will be expensive...and to be honest with you, its not that different than a honda...an engine is an engine and a suspension is a suspension. Look into a Bentley manual if you are planning on this yourself. That is a very cheap price though and if you think you have the time and assets to make everything back into pristine condition, then go for it. A lot of people think that building BMWs from the ground up as a project car isn't worth it because it can get VERY expensive. By the time you restore everything, you could end up spending upwards of $10k including parts/labor/beer/etc. And for only 7 or 8k, you can go out and buy a 325i or something in great condition with about 100k miles on the clock. And it will still run forever.

But if you are into it, go for it. Its significantly a more expesive hobby for BMWs than as with a Honda...but you have a great start with finding your base for only $1600 and a bullet proof engine for that good of a price. Make sure you know what you are getting in that engine because it sure seems suspiciously cheap for a BMW engine of any sorts...

for reference, go to bavengine.com

goodluck and dude!!!

ps-why did you bump yourself after a minute??? hahahaha

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
#4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:01 PM
n00b

RedbeautyIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BlantonG13@Aug 14 2004, 03:56 PM
it will be expensive...and to be honest with you, its not that different than a honda...an engine is an engine and a suspension is a suspension. Look into a Bentley manual if you are planning on this yourself. That is a very cheap price though and if you think you have the time and assets to make everything back into pristine condition, then go for it. A lot of people think that building BMWs from the ground up as a project car isn't worth it because it can get VERY expensive. By the time you restore everything, you could end up spending upwards of $10k including parts/labor/beer/etc. And for only 7 or 8k, you can go out and buy a 325i or something in great condition with about 100k miles on the clock. And it will still run forever.

But if you are into it, go for it. Its significantly a more expesive hobby for BMWs than as with a Honda...but you have a great start with finding your base for only $1600 and a bullet proof engine for that good of a price. Make sure you know what you are getting in that engine because it sure seems suspiciously cheap for a BMW engine of any sorts...

for reference, go to bavengine.com

goodluck and dude!!!

ps-why did you bump yourself after a minute??? hahahaha
[snapback]165170[/snapback]
I'm new here and trying to learn to maneuver around. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. I had a front end crash with a 1996 328 IS that was cherry prior to the accident. THe insurance company decided it was a total loss. I have kept the car and dismantled the front end. It appears that 95% of the repair is pure bolt on. I wish to try to salvage the car for street driving but have decided that if it is insane to completely rebuild the front end I might turn it into a race car. Questions are; Is the Bentley's manual the best out there? I have it and feel it could use some improvement. Does anyone have good dealers or web sites for aftermarket parts for this model? Any other thought or suggestions would be appreciated.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
Quote:
Originally posted by lrn99@Aug 14 2004, 01:32 PM
Is it a good project?
[snapback]165157[/snapback]
well that is exactly what it is A PROJECT!!! that seems like it is worth way more trouble than any 318 would ever be worth to me... but if you want to do it go for it... you will have MANY MANY MANY headaches. and for the money you will spend fixing everything on the car you could probably get a 325

David
#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 06:18 PM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
fix the 328.
forget the 318.
or
buy the 318.
drop in the 2.8.
or
buy the 318.
put the body on the 328.
drive a 328 for even less than the origional idea.....

Mark
#7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
1600 for the body is not too bad. Here's what I would do. I would get a 325 or 328 engine, drive train and rear subframe. Then put it into that body and there you go. Who really needs a working sunroof?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)