BMW Werkz banner

Burning Rubber

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bitcore 
#1 ·
I know virtually nothing about car parts, so I'll ask the masters here. So please :help ...

Well, one day I pulled into the garage and smelled some burning rubber. I thought nothing of it since I was running the engine hard, and figured the tires smelled like crap.... like I said, I know nothing about cars so don't laugh.

Well I drove it again and the smell was there again. I figure it's a belt of some sort. Please help!!! I looked in the engine, and there is nothing visible there that proves something is burning. Are these cars known for this? Please help!!!!

btw, is obviously under the hood, the smell was pretty rank

#3 ·
or very hard cornering, since its originating from under the hood. even though most of the rubber burning gets done in the rear. also check things out in ur engine, alternator air vent and stuff melting on the engine. that could be disaterous

#4 ·
If you take corners really hard, the tires slip some, even though you dont hear the RRRRRR noise or see smoke, they are still slipping. This causes lots fo heat on the tread, which is where you get that burning rubber smell.
Sniff your tires and make sure it's just them... if it's not, and it smells like burning plastic (the PVC wire coating) or the rubber burnign smell is specifically in the engine bay, then you probably have a problem...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.