Broken rear spring/ noise...arrgggh - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kylek325i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to kylek325i
(Thread Starter)
Broken rear spring/ noise...arrgggh

OK so I still have not figured out what is causing the noise underneath my car. Today I replaced the rear shocks and mounts (with reinforcement plates) and its still doing it. Kind of a harsh clunking/ grinding coming from rear, I think more towards the driver's side. Like right under the rear seat (its a 4 door). Rear driver side spring is BROKEN, the last coil on the bottom is just sheared right off. Is this what is making such awful noises??? Defintely worse when making right turns. I know it isnt the drivetrain and doesnt feel like a trailing arm bushing; car does not pull. Heat shield seems fine. it is a 94 with 152k on it. used:

Thanks!!
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
ah not uncommon, usually the very last coil will break off, you should replace it when you get a chance,

#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah I have heard of it happening, but could it be the cause of this noise?? I mean it sounds like a harsh grinding. Also it is pretty inconsistent although tends to be worst when that spring is loaded (acceleration, bumps, right turns). Does anyone know anything else it might be? I am also wondering what damage a broken spring can cause.
Thanks!
#4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 AM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek325i
I am also wondering what damage a broken spring can cause.
hey kyle, welcome to the forums!

..broken springs can actually cause alot of damage. they are loaded with a great deal of pressure and they can break or break loose and fly wildly! also you really don't wanna lose your suspension when you are driving down the road at a decent speed. it can cause unpredictable results and chances are you might not be able to control the car, especially when spirited driving! other than the possible damage from the spring flying off or causing a wreck, the shock could get ruined as well as control arms, joints, etc...depending on the situation. now would be a good time to upgrade to some sportier springs or lower riding springs!

cheers...and cool name, lol
#5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I have some 1995 BMW M3 springs for sale with 70,000 miles on them. Had no sagging or problems when I took them out. Asking $100 for all 4. Rears are pretty stupid easy to replace! Takes only 10 minutes each. Fronts require you to rent a spring compressor (rent for free from autozone) and maybe 2 Hours.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:28 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
you may wanna take a look at the spring pads to make sure that its still there or destroyed it can cause that type of noise for sure.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
you may wanna take a look at the spring pads to make sure that its still there or destroyed it can cause that type of noise for sure.
yes, esp. since the spring has broken and now probably has a sharp edge against the pad. (can we say high pressure knife action?)

#8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the replies!

I have been shopping for new springs but havent found any deals yet on stock-height springs...any kind of lowering spring seems to be cheapest. HOWEVER I live in Maine and our roads are terrible and although I would love to slam my car, it just is not a good idea as long as I will be driving on crappy Maine back roads. So, anyone know of a good place to get stock springs other than like BavAuto??
#9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
The e36 M3 springs would lower your car just slightly and be stiffer for better handling.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)