Broken Rear Axle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I was backing out of my parking spot today when I felt like I'd hit a bump. I tried giving it gas but that wouldn't work. I checked my parking brake to make sure it wasn't engaged, and noticed it was uncharacteristically tight for being all the way down. I decided to turn the car of and put it in gear to check what was wrong. My rear driver side wheel was stiking out like a mofo, all angled out and what not. I check underneath and -- there it is, my rear axle broke. The weird thing is that I've done nothing to it to merit that. ANyway, just venting. Please, if you have any idea how much this will cost to get fixed, let me know. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
quality

Car: 2001 330i & 2011 550i
Photos:
Delmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond reputeDelmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by drz328i@Jan 2 2005, 01:28 PM
Please, if you have any idea how much this will cost to get fixed, let me know. Thanks.
[snapback]262638[/snapback]

four letters......

A-L-O-T!

calll yuor insurance maybe they can pay for the repairs....if you get real creative with how the axel broke....
Old 01-03-2005, 12:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Alright, so it wasn't the axle. WHat broke is some kind of a support brace for the axle. The only reason I got it wrong the first time is that when I told a friend that "the thing that attaches to the wheel" broke (I only said it like that because English is not my first language) , she said, "The axle?" So I figured that was the Engish for for it. Getting under the car I figured it wasn't it. Here is a picture (not my car) where I have highlighted what broke on my car. Any input (even sympathy notes) is welcome. I'll keep you all updated on the progress. I just thank God I wasn't going 90 on the highway or in the middle of traffic somewhere, or far away. I was pulling out of my parking spot Righ in front of my apartment. Plus, I won't even have to miss work -- I still have my 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage (insured even). I'll make those four cylinders work for me some more. Hopefully I won't have to ride in it for very long. I kind of got used to the power steering (hehe -- and just about everything else my 328 gives me).

Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Delmarco+Jan 2 2005, 03:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delmarco @ Jan 2 2005, 03:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-drz328i@Jan 2 2005, 01:28 PM
Please, if you have any idea how much this will cost to get fixed, let me know. Thanks.
[snapback]262638[/snapback]

four letters......

A-L-O-T!

calll yuor insurance maybe they can pay for the repairs....if you get real creative with how the axel broke....
[snapback]262681[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I figured it would be a whole lot of cash. But since it is not the axle, I hope it won't be so bad.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
350z

Car: 03 Nissan 350z Track
Photos:
bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
hmm i dont know any prices or anything but i hope you get it all worked out!! good thing you werent driving fast

Davod
Old 01-03-2005, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ganjacyde is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ganjacyde Send a message via MSN to ganjacyde
yeah, consider yourself lucky it happened when and where it did. if that shit happens on the road, you're surely dead meat.

but insurance should cover it, like someone said...be creative.
if its not worth the deductable though you're just gonna have to pay for it. welcome to european luxury, these cars are expensive.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Live_the_Curves is an unknown quantity at this point
I am thinking a connecting tie-rod or something like that might of been broken.

Also if you make insurance claims does'nt your insurance go up.
Live_the_Curves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
bitcore will become famous soon enoughbitcore will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
Lower control arm.

The thing circled in red? (mine got BENT by a garage about 6 months ago, they lifted my car using my control arm = BAD) The round one above it is the axle.

If it's JUST the control arm, it wont be too much, it's just a part, two rubber bushings, and some bolts. All it does is control the angle of the wheel on the ground (camber) It does not support the car's weight. You do have to get a re-alignment after this is done though, so that is going to cost a little more.

I say it's under $200 USD, no more than that if it's just the control arm...

Probably a bolt just broke or nut came loose, in that case, $10 USD for a mechanic to re-bolt it for you.

CHECK THE OTHER SIDE!!!

bitcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore@Jan 3 2005, 11:35 AM
Lower control arm.

The thing circled in red? (mine got BENT by a garage about 6 months ago, they lifted my car using my control arm = BAD) The round one above it is the axle.

If it's JUST the control arm, it wont be too much, it's just a part, two rubber bushings, and some bolts. All it does is control the angle of the wheel on the ground (camber) It does not support the car's weight. You do have to get a re-alignment after this is done though, so that is going to cost a little more.

I say it's under $200 - $300 USD, no more than that if it's just the control arm...

Probably a bolt just broke or nut came loose, in that case, $10 USD for a mechanic to re-bolt it for you.

CHECK THE OTHER SIDE!!!
[snapback]263176[/snapback]
The control arm. That sounds right to me. I feel better knowing since I can go to a body shop and tell them that. You know, when you go in and don't even know the name of whatever is broken, their behavior toward you is not the same. The control arm broke. YUeah -- it's not like a bolt fell off or something like that. Is it just one piece that runs across from side to side? Or is there on per wheel?

BTW, your server seems to still be down... we cannot see your pics.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
Send a message via ICQ to bitcore Send a message via AIM to bitcore Send a message via MSN to bitcore
I shut it down to replace a NIC that was acting up and was stuck in 10mbit and to add another 160 gigger to replace a couple failing drives. I forgot to reset the IP from DHCP to static, thats why it was down so damn long.
doh :P It's back up.

There is one control arm per wheel.
So the arm BROKE into two seperate pieces? How did that happen!??! Those things have a relitively high tensile strength and are designed not to do this.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
flying_junk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to flying_junk
control arm for my car was 48 dollars or so off of this one place. if u wanna kno what it is tell me. thay are relativfely cheap and its new parts.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Yeah man. Where is this place?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
www.bavauto.com has them, but get the bushings from the dealership if they don't already come installed. (I've had serious trouble with their LCA bushings, they failed with HOLES in them before they even hit 10,000 miles) Call them up and talk to a someone, they will look up the parts for you and give you prices.

First, go to a mechanic you can trust or the dealership and get them to take a look at it and see what happened. Then worry about the parts you need.

I was using bavauto's arm for about 5 months until I hydroplaned into a curb and turned it into spaghetti, I've got all OEM parts in the back now.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Photos:
Yeah, I was going to call bavauto. I'll have to find a good mechanic around here, though. I am new in the area and don't really know of one I can trust. I'll have to have someone direct me toward a good one. If any of you are from around here (Fayetteville, AR), please give some recommendations.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Threadkiller

Car:
Photos:
See if you can get under the car with em

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)