Break Pads - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 02:24 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BlantonG13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BlantonG13
(Thread Starter)
Anyone heard of Axxis break pads? I need some new ones and I don't feel like driving to the dealer and paying high prices for the OEM ones, even though I have heard they are as good as any aftermarket. Any reviews or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Alpine CDA-7895 Head Unit
12" Alpine Type-R, sealed box
Pioneer 400w amp for $20 at a yard sale (to replace my fried MRV-1507)
Infinity Kappa 4" 2-way speakers(rear)
Infinity Kappa 5.25" component speakers(front)
Debaffled airbox, K&N filter
Tracked Mud on carpets
Shampooed and cleaned carpets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 02:28 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Axxis Superior Brake Pads

Previously known in the aftermarket as either Lucas Metal Max or Repco Metal Master Pads, Axxis Metal Master is the brake pad manufactured in Australia. Axxis Metal Master brake pads are precision built to provide safe trouble-free stopping power even under extreme operating temperatures and adverse driving conditions. Best of all, Axxis Metal Master brake pads perform with minimal wear--lasting up to four times longer than standard organic brake pads and nearly twice as long as standard semi-metallic brake pads. Axxis Metal Master disc brake pads will give your car or light truck the same kind of high performance required by emergency vehicles and competition racers, while eliminating noise, dust and fade. Axxis Metal Master brake pads are a top of the line brake pads from down under.

Copied that from a site, I'm sure that you have read something similiar. Personally I would stick to Pagid or Mintex. But these sound like they could be ok==>good pads, but then again any one can make anything sound good.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:02 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
It was brake time for me recently, and I asked Furious if he recomended Pagid or Mintex. He said he had used both, but recomended EBC Green Stuff over the other two aforementioned. The EBC are kevlar, and supposed to be completely dustless.

It's too early to tell (I have less than 100mi on them) but they seem to bite well and have held up to their dustless claims thusfar. They seem good so far, and tirerack.com as well as hmsmotorsports.com carry them, so you don't even have to leave the house to order 'em.

#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:06 PM

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jul 10 2004, 03:42 PM
It was brake time for me recently, and I asked Furious if he recomended Pagid or Mintex. He said he had used both, but recomended EBC Green Stuff over the other two aforementioned. The EBC are kevlar, and supposed to be completely dustless.

It's too early to tell (I have less than 100mi on them) but they seem to bite well and have held up to their dustless claims thusfar. They seem good so far, and tirerack.com as well as hmsmotorsports.com carry them, so you don't even have to leave the house to order 'em.
whats the brake fad like on those Geenie thingies? I have mintex I believe, and after about 15 miles of driven the shit outta my car they have horrible fade, like have to push the brake peddale half way down before they start to catch.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:12 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
haven't really got to play with them yet, as they recomend a seed time of 300mi. They advertise 0 fade, as the Kevlar composition is supposed to resist such. I'll keep ya posted....

#6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:21 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
interesting, I have heard of the Green Stuff elsewhere as well, I think I am going to look into them a bit more. I have noticed the DIY forums for changing pads, so it doesn't seem that hard. I have a great understanding of mechanical concepts as I used to change my pads on my old integra...not much difference I assume? Also, is it a must to bleed the brake lines after a change?

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Tracked Mud on carpets
#7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
WOT in Reverse

First off, I am not a mechanic. I like to think of myself as Cole Trickle (Days of Thunder). I just got in a car and could drive, I don't have a very comprehensive understanding of them, I can just drive the crap out of 'em.

That being said, I changed the brakes myself. It was sooo easy. Furious has a DIY link in the FAQ section that gives more info than necessary. There is no bleeding necessary (unless you slip with the tire iron-LOL). Changed all four in about two hours and four beers.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 03:39 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Only 4 beers????
hahaha

Thanks a lot dude, huge help...I am digging the whole idea behind Kevlar composite for the pads. I have a HUGE brake dust problem with the damn OEM pads. I LOVE the idea of zero fade as well as anyone should...I'll keep you guys posted and let you know how this little project goes.

1996 318i
5 Speed Manual

Tracked Mud on carpets
#9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:35 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I use PBR/AXXIS on my 1988 750 ( one heavy beast) and love them, no dusting, inexpensive to purchase, good feel, and great braking, and you have the option of Organic (Deluxe) Metal Master (semi-metallic) and a new Ultimate. I use the Metal Masters and have for years.
#10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
bumpity bump bump... this thread needs new shocks...

I'm interested in an update jllphan..

#11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore@Jul 11 2004, 08:13 PM

Me 3
#12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 08:27 PM

Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Axxis ultimates are supposed to be very good.

Kevin (President TBEA)

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
#13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 02:44 AM
WOT in Reverse

Quote:
Originally posted by bitcore@Jul 11 2004, 08:13 PM

It's only been a freakin day! :P

J-Dawg Log: Day 13

Today I stopped successfully from 40mph. Felt good, but I'm eager to really give these new brake pads from EBC, the full test. I sure hope they live up to the hype so I can tell the guys back at the forum how really neat-o they are. :nana

No seriously, I'll get the car out on Tue. and give the new pads a work out. Let ya know then...

#14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan+Jul 12 2004, 03:24 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jllphan @ Jul 12 2004, 03:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitcore@Jul 11 2004, 08:13 PM

It's only been a freakin day! :P

J-Dawg Log: Day 13

Today I stopped successfully from 40mph. Felt good, but I'm eager to really give these new brake pads from EBC, the full test. I sure hope they live up to the hype so I can tell the guys back at the forum how really neat-o they are. :nana

No seriously, I'll get the car out on Tue. and give the new pads a work out. Let ya know then... [/b][/quote]
I am afraid you will be dissapointed from the EBC. I have, they are not that great pads ghead
#15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 10:04 AM
5th Gear Member

Autotechnica is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys should try either Hawk HPS (street) or HP+ pads. I've never tried EBC (tried them on a 5er), but for the price I would easily consider other options. The Hawk pads are far superior from a performance point of view. The HPS street pads are quiet, dustless and offer good stopping power. They have very moderate brake fade. The HP+ is the best brake pad I have ever used. People who race at Mosport swear by these pads. They are noisey and very dusty, virtually no brake fade, they last forever!

I've tried Pagid OEM and there was lots of brake fade on the track, tones of brake dust! I've also tried Pagid Sport, very sqeeky and again, lots of brake dust. Some brake fade on the track. Both OEM and Sport wore out very fast. I had to replace brakes in less than 6 months. PBR Deluxe was an average pad. Lots of noise, not much brake dust, lasts a long time, poor street braking performance. Good track performance with very moderate brake fade. PBR metal masters are very cheap, noisey, very little brake dust, never tried them, but a friend of mine uses them on the track all the time.

Bry

<u>1994 M-Technic M42 Saloon - Trillium Chapter - 5130</u>
Stock - 2866lbs Current - 2670lbs
<a href='http://www.geocities.com/mtechnik42' target='_blank'>- VIEW MY MODS AND PICS</a>
<a href='http://www.automobile-technik.com' target='_blank'>- PARTS FOR SALE</a>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
&lt;img src=&quot;http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/atta...tc=1&quot;&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)