"break Lights Failure" Message - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
toast_mcmann is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

yeah I'm a noob on this forum. I own a 95 325is 5 speed, and I do need some advise on my ride. My computer reads "break lights failure", and guess what? My break lights don't work. From what I know it could be one of two things: brake light switch, or brake light circuit. Yes, I checked the bulbs and the fuses. Is it infact one of the two formentioned parts or is there something else going on? If it is the switch or the circuit, where are they located in the car, and are there any available walk throughs on the subject? Any feed back is appreciated.
toast_mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2005, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 328i
Photos:
Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd check the brake light switch first. Its located under the driver's side dash adjacent to the brake pedal. I have replaced mine twice and the car is a '97 with 130,000 miles. What happens is the blades inside the switch beome carboned and create an arch that the computer senses and throws the code you are seeing in the OBC. The next phase is total switch failure.

To gain access, at least on the '97 you have to remove the panel covering the under side of the drivers dash compartment (where the gas, brake and clutch pedal disappear under the dash). You have to lay on your back, look and feel up the brake pedal and you will see the switch. I had to distroy mine both times on removal due to the "Cam like" method of securing it into the mounting flange.

There were two switches listed at the OEM shop for my car. Install is easier than removal. There is a requirement to set the throw of the switch on install. This is the point during depressing the pedal that the lights come on.

Do a search on the forum and I am sure you will find a removal and install procedure. I used a Chilton's manual from the local Advance Auto store.

You may be able to unplug the switch with out removing it and use a jumper wire to check the "system" before you remove the switch. BTW the switch is in the $25 range.

Good Luck

Lar
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
theogill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to theogill
Pelicanparts website has a DIY with pics.
Hope you're a small person. It took me a while to do this because I'm a 6' 210# guy. But I got it done. Be careful not to pull out the plastic heat ducting because it's a real pain to get back in correctly. Otherwise this is an easy job.
Expect to break out the old switch. Also, getting in the new switch was a bitch. I had to shave a little off of the new switch to get it in. It's been in for 10K, no problems.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 328i
Photos:
Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
here check this out

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticl...rake_Switch.htm

Lar
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
Does it say Brake light Circuit Failure?

Just had to replace my brake light switch. It took the mechanic 5 mintues to replace. My car was still under warranty otherwise I wouldve done it myself.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
NESS is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem with my 95 325is except my brake lights actually work the OBC just says they dont.
NESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
aheath is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to aheath
Did you read what I just wrote?

I will explain it more throughly

Brake Light Circuit warning came on/off randomly. My brake lights worked REGARDLESS of this warning coming up. Apparently the warning comes up because your switch is about to fail.

My mechanic fixed in 5 minutes. Replace the switch that relays from the pedal to the lights.

I'm sure there's a DIY for it, DO NOT go pay a mechanic a bunch of money to install this. It took him longer to drive the car around the parking lot to ensure it worked then it took for him to install it.
aheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
NESS is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea its the same prob I have. It has only popped up on the OBC once since I bought the car. When I bought it the guy had put black tape over it so he didnt see it, he told me the OBC didnt work so I figured thats why he had tape over it. But turns out this was the reason so my OBC works afterall.
NESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)