Braking Issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:51 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
losichu is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello Forum,
I have a 95 318ti and I have been having some weird brake problems. It all started with the pad wear sensor light on my dash coming on. I kind of ignored for a month or so, but I eventually got around to getting the front brakes put on (ceramic pads with brembo slotted rotors). Before I had the brakes put on though, the car began to drag at low speeds. What I mean by that is that when I would lay off the gas the car would slow down alot quicker than normal, almost as if I had pulled the e-brake. Since it is a manual I would occasionally let it drift to a stop, at which time then a set of brakes would lock up, but I was never sure which ones. I always suspected the passenger side rear, but I could never prove it. When the problem became more noticeable, I took the car in for repair. My mechanic believed that the front brakes were the culprit, that the rotor was so warped that it would cause the car to drag and then it would lock up at a stop because it would get stuck. So we replaced the front brakes and I took the car for a spin. The brakes still dragged, but only after the car had been running for a while, and it still felt like it had been coming from the back. He ripped of both rear rotors and we could find nothing. The pad wear sensor indicator on the dash also did not go out. Before I got the brakes replaced, the pad wear sensor light would go out once you hit the brakes. Now the pad wear sensor light just stays on. I drove the car home after taking off the rear rotors, and the car began to drag about 15 minutes later. I noticed this time when I parked that the rear right rotor was glowing red, not enough to light up the area, but it looked really hot. My rear pads and rotors are new. Could it the brake caliper? The brake lines? If anyone has ever experienced this or knows what it could be, could you please tell me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 06:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
bad caliper or bad/clogged lines would be my guess
#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Neutral Member

loftygoals is an unknown quantity at this point
It could be a bad wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing is bad, the wheel can torque under the weight of the car causing the brakes to constantly rub.

Unfortunately, I know from experience.

-bj

1999 BMW ///M3 Convertible | 1994 BMW 525i | 1983 Porsche 944 Race Car (aka ///M944)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 10:13 PM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by loftygoals@Jan 10 2005, 08:40 PM
It could be a bad wheel bearing. If the wheel bearing is bad, the wheel can torque under the weight of the car causing the brakes to constantly rub.

Unfortunately, I know from experience.

-bj
[snapback]268535[/snapback]
Possible, but you'd probably hear a bearing in that bad of shape.

IF it's only one rear wheel, I'd go with the caliper. If it was BOTH rear wheels, I'd say the master cylinder.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Neutral Member

DarrellS is an unknown quantity at this point
Could it be the handbrake ( emergency brake ), do they operate like mine and have shoes that go inside the drum on the rear disc ( rotor ). If it's adjusted all the way up and can't go any further it maybe slightly stuck in that position. It's just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)