brakes and pads - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 06:16 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mstar is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
my mechanic has told me my 328i needs new front discs and pads. He said rears are fine. should i change all 4 discs and pads?

also are the o.e ones good? (zimmaman) or should i buy some other brands like brembo, blackdiamond etc?

ghead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 06:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Front brakes wear out faster due to more weight on them. it's not necessary to do the rear brakes until their pads approach minimum service thickness.

No need to go for the extra expense of replacing rears when you can get considerably more life out of them, unless you prefer to do so.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 08:24 AM
n00b

mstar is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
so is it worth splashing out a bit more on discs or pads (or both??)
i have no idea about braking systems but i guess pads are more important??
#4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 09:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Fadec40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Normally, just the pads need replacement. But if the discs are worn to minimums, warped or grooved due to brake pad neglect, they too need replacing.
But a routine brake job doesnt automatically require new discs.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 10:42 AM
n00b

foru2justnv is an unknown quantity at this point
The best thing to o is go for something like an EBC front disc and pad upgrade at a cheap price. This will prob not be any more than what BMW would charge to supply and fit OEM stuff. This stuff does work. With the backs stick with what you got they r fine.
#6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 11:21 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
There isn't really any need to go to just brembo pads. If you don't have the rotors the pads imo aren't worth it. If you wanted something better, padgid has some good street/track pads that I've heard are really good. Next time I replace my pads I'm switching to them because on longer spirited mountiany drives I get brake fade with the stock pads. But IMO if you don't do any track or long distance spirited driving then there is no need to upgrade even the pads. For the brake fade, on a 20 miles downhill twistie road I had noticable fade by mile 15, I had to push the pedal half way down to get noticable stopping power. But then again there were 3 of us (Me and 2 2002 with stiens and H&R springs). So it was floor the car outta every turn, run it all the way before shifting and then brale as late as possible. It was awesome, but prolly took off 10% of my pad life... and tire life....
#7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 07:57 AM
n00b

jrothlis is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey thekid, I did exactly the same last week! About 20 or 30 kms of really winding road, I was driving full on, and when I reached the downhill section, I started noticing this funny sound coming from the back of the car every time I braked, and then the brakes just faded! It was quite dramatic. Suffice it to say that I went the rest of the way at a very sedate pace. When I stopped to have a look, the rotors were blue (like "blue steel") and although you could feel heat coming off them, it wasn't a huge amount of heat. I really hope I haven't wrecked my pads too much. =(

96 320i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)