Brakes - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Montizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Brakes

well ive sat on my ass too long and now the problem has finally reared its ugly head. My front brakes had a little metal to metal contact this afternoon, i can see the result of it forming on my rotors. i get paid friday and plan to replace them then. in the meantime, am i going to be doing any hardcore damage to my rotors between now and then? ive been downshifting alot more than normal to save what little is left of the pads. appreciate the input as always
Montizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
You might want to order new pads off your credit now so that they will ship and hopeuflly be here as soon as possible.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
maybe you could get your rotors re-grinded, not too sure if that helps, my BMW was the first car I got where I had to do any brake work: recently got new pads, brake fluid, and rotors, but everything was shot so I HAD to replace it all.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
from what i hear.. bmw rotors, arnt able to be cut, or "re-grinded" as u call it...
when rotors need replacing, the pads have to go with it.. and vis-aversa...

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
What? Rotors dont need ot be replaced each time you reaplce pads. You gusy mean resurfacing and no you cant do it according to my old mechanic.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMW Kraft is on a distinguished road
He didn't mean replace the rotors every time you replace the pads, he means replace the pads every time you get the rotars replaced.

So you can't resurface the rotars on a BMW???
lying f*cking mecahnics!
Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Power Shifting

Car:
Photos:
Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
yes! when the rotors are warped/cracked/damaged, then u need to replace pads too..

and yes, your mech is dicking you around

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
Cruzin 323is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Montizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of lightMontizzle is a glorious beacon of light
thx guys. yeah i checked the rotors and those are all good not warped or nething because im experiencing no shaking or shimmying when i come to a stop. the prob is pads which is an easy fix i will be doing tomorrow.
Montizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Ljk619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, the rotors can be resurfaced/cut/"reground.."(never heard that one before), however in actuality the oem bmw rotors are a softer material than most of you think meaning the pads and rotors wear out at the exact same pace. If you do your own brake jobs and done other cars as well you'd notice your rotors compared to other manufacturer rotors have a big lip on them, which is caused by what i just said before. Most german car companies do this, where the pad and rotor wear out at the same time, and thus have to be replaced EVERY time you do a proper brake job according to manufacturer recommendations. Also if you plan on replacing just the pads without replacing or resurfacing the rotors at the least, it's not a good idea. The reason we resurface rotors is because you want a new mating surface with the new pads, and yada yada yada bottom line, not good for the pads and in some cases it makes noise.

So to answer your question, sure you can resurface the rotor, will it be under specs? i'm pretty sure it will be. Does it matter? sort of, the thinner the rotor the more likely it will become warped. Are you willing to spend the extra few bucks and do it properly? up to you

Last edited by Ljk619; 01-19-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Ljk619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BMW Kraft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljk619
Also if you plan on replacing just the pads without replacing or resurfacing the rotors at the least, it's not a good idea. The reason we resurface rotors is because you want a new mating surface with the new pads, and yada yada yada bottom line, not good for the pads and in some cases it makes noise.
wow.... that explains everything
ghead
Old 01-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car: 1997 328i
Photos:
Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
Rotors resurfacing

I've always been told that BMW does not recommend resurfacing their rotors and therefore does not publish a minimum material remaining specification for machine shops to follow when maching.

I've replaced mine twice due to warpage over the years and to be honest (IMHO) with Bavian Autosports selling smooth (no drilled/slotted) for $45 each why bother.

A good machine shop will charge you $15 each to resurface and you have to drop off and wait so you are better off to replace them.

Both brake rotors and brake drums have become more of a consumable part today then past years, and replacing them adds 5 minutes to the brake job.

end
Larry Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)