Brake pedal feels high and hard - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
drz
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
(Thread Starter)
Brake pedal feels high and hard

Is this bad? I recently had to remove the rear brake rotors to troubleshoot and fix a mess I made with the parking brake shoes. After I put it all back together (same pads and rotors) and started driving it, I noticed that the brake pedal feels like it sits a little higher, or at least like I have to push in less in order to star stopping the car. Also, it does not go in very far even when I push it in hard.

Discuss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Retired administrator

triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute triggrhaapi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to triggrhaapi
try bleeding the system.

Addicted to Speed Since 1997
Founding member of the GreenDragon Poo Flingers Club
Founder and Double Member of the 150mph club

Read about my Frankenmotor Project and see how an M50 becomes an S50!!!

No, don't worry. It's cool. I'm taking it back for us.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 03:18 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
+1 on the bleed the system comment

#4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 05:41 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
I have traction control -- is bleeding the brakes on my car still DIY?

#5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
yes

this is ironic though

i told you, you didn't have to bleed your brakes before, i don't know what's up though

i completely changed all my brakes before and i didn't have to bleed em

but yeah it's still diy

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:11 AM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
It's cool, Shahab. Maybe I somehow let air into the system (that would be why, right?) without knowing. The weird thing is that I didn't open, lose, or unscrew anything.

I thought that air in the system would show up as a smushy pedal, but I gather from everyone's posts that a stiff pedal can also come from that.

I guess I should take care of this before I leave for St. Louis this coming Friday. Would you drive 800 miles under my current conditions?

#7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Oh shti the meet is this weekend. I need to order sumtin

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:02 PM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power
Oh shti the meet is this weekend. I need to order sumtin
Be ready for this:

"Uh, Eric..... yeah -- Daniel here man. Dude, I'm not gonna make it. My brakes bailed on me here in Springfield."

Or simply don't be surprised if I show up in a Civic.

#9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:15 PM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
bump bump bump

I appreciate the input. I understand that I should "try bleeding the system," but I need to know if this is urgent, life-or-death stuff, or if I can drive to St. Louis this weekend and take care of this next week.

Why is stiff pedal bad?

#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
Air in the brake lines causes a soft pedal and more pedal travel than normal. I have never heard of air in the brake lines causing a hard pedal. Think about it. Under braking the air compresses and thus a soft pedal, not a hard one.
If the brakes work fine, I would say you probably don't have a problem. They just feel different because of the brake job. Have another BMW owner drive it and see if they say the brakes feel abnormal. If something is amiss, it is probably mechanical in the way the brakes were reassembled.
#11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 08:37 PM
n00b

SOLO5977 is on a distinguished road
DEFINATLY not air in the system!!!! Air = soft pedel because the air can be compressed where as the brake fluid can not. It sounds to me that something isn't seated right. or that the problem you made with the parking break has something to do with it. Unles you are really familure with breaks I would not do it your self it will save you much head ach if you have it done
#12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 09:21 PM
drz
Administrator

(Thread Starter)
^^ The compressibility of air is exactly what prompted me to question the presence of air in the lines. I haven't looked at my brakes since the weekend, so there is a possibility that something is not seated right. I will take a look again to be sure.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
a firm pedal feel and less travel means things are working CORRECTLY.

long pedal travel and soft pedal means shit is worn out or has air in the system.

a perfect braking system (perfect in terms of a race car) has near zero pedal travel, the only modulation you have is the effort applied to the pedal, the pedal may appear to not move at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)