Brake Pads - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 11:39 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
(Thread Starter)
im replacing my brakes.. what pads should i use?

i want something with less dust than the oem ones + performance and longevity

also... do i have to replace the brake pad wear sensor everytime i put new pads in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 12:14 AM
Threadkiller

bitcore will become famous soon enough bitcore will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst.@Nov 28 2004, 12:39 AM
do i have to replace the brake pad wear sensor everytime i put new pads in?
[snapback]238621[/snapback]
Yes, for the light to function normally you need to... but you dont HAVE to, I guess you could just twist the wires together to make the light turn off. It's a good idea to replace it because you wont really have a good idea how much brake is left until you start grinding the rotors and it makes that awful noise...

#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 12:39 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst.@Nov 27 2004, 10:39 PM
im replacing my brakes.. what pads should i use?* i want something with less dust than the oem ones + performance and longevity
Recomended by Furious, I tried a set of EBC Green Stuff pads. They take a little "brake" in time, but now have unbelievable stopping power. I do a variety of driving, and they meet every need. As they are Kevlar, they also are nearly dustless! Highly recomended.

Quote:
also... do i have to replace the brake pad wear sensor everytime i put new pads in?
You tell me. Has your brake wear sensor light turned on? If so, you will need to replace one or both (probably front). I bought front and rear, just in case. I didn't need to change the rear sensor, so I swapped it for an oil filter

#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 12:51 AM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
(Thread Starter)
gahh those are expensive as hell.. theyre probably worth it though.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

_1634_ is an unknown quantity at this point
I am avery satisfied with my Hawk HPS pads. As for the dust aspect, my rear wheels dont have much dust on them (with the "smooth"/stock/OEM rotors) but my front rotors are slotted so they have brake dust on them from the slots. mine were $160 front and back at bimmerworld.com

As for the sensors, optimally, you should change them every time whether or not your brake light has illuminated on your dashboard. But if the light has not gone on, your pads have not worn down enough for the sensor to contact the bare rotor through the pad, if your on a tight budget id say skip the sensors if the light hasnt came on...

<span style='font-family:Arial'>1994 BMW 325is // White // 5 Speed

Slotted Rotors // Hawk HPS Pads <span style='color:blue'>//</span><span style='color:red'>/</span>Motorsport Shifter // De-Baffled Airbox</span>
#6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Threadkiller

I say you'll be perfectly fine re-using them if the light hasn't come on if they havn't been worn too much.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan+Nov 27 2004, 11:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jllphan @ Nov 27 2004, 11:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-catalyst.@Nov 27 2004, 10:39 PM
im replacing my brakes.. what pads should i use?* i want something with less dust than the oem ones + performance and longevity
Recomended by Furious, I tried a set of EBC Green Stuff pads. They take a little "brake" in time, but now have unbelievable stopping power. I do a variety of driving, and they meet every need. As they are Kevlar, they also are nearly dustless! Highly recomended.

Quote:
You tell me. Has your brake wear sensor light turned on? If so, you will need to replace one or both (probably front). I bought front and rear, just in case. I didn't need to change the rear sensor, so I swapped it for an oil filter
[snapback]238663[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I was looking at the green stuff...but the tirerack reviews say that they are LOUD even when breaking at tslow speeds...I'm assuming since we drive the same cars...I'd rather take your spin on it jllphan...what do you say?

#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 07:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my PBR metal-masters. No dust, stop great, not noisey, and only about $35 for the front set. They are a great set of pads, especially if your car will not see track time.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 11:00 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
No Del, they aren't loud.

Yes PBR metal masters are good, but they can wear out your rotors pretty easily. I almost bought them, but didn't plan on replacing my rotors this time around.

And no, you don't have to replace your sensor unless it is worn out. It's pretty easy to tell if the sensor has worn down to the indicator by looking at it.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Threadkiller

What about the brake noise, sometimes pads are just plain loud for long periods of time, occasionally quieting down and then becoming loud again, or just loud for their entire little lives.

What about this brake paste stuff, does it just glue the pad to the brake cylender and prevent the high pitched vibration by the addition of mass?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)