BMW Werkz banner

Brake Pad Warning light

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chuck1 
#1 ·
Hi,

Have replaced the front brake pads on my 96 320i but what I thought was the brake pad warning light is still showing. Only the left hand front had a sensor wire on. Its the red dash light that has the circle with the dashes on either side.

Anyone had a similar problem ?

The ABS is still working.

Thanks

#3 ·
Replace the sensors...

craigf said:
Hi,

Have replaced the front brake pads on my 96 320i but what I thought was the brake pad warning light is still showing. Only the left hand front had a sensor wire on. Its the red dash light that has the circle with the dashes on either side.

Anyone had a similar problem ?

The ABS is still working.

Thanks

You should have a sensor on the front left and right rear calipers. Whichever pads were worn down and the sensor made contact with the rotor you need to change that sensor and the light will go out.

Mike

#7 ·
craigf said:
I didn't change the sensor wire and didn't notice a wire on the rear right caliper when I checked the rear pads (they didn't look to bad). I'll have another look, thanks for the info

Craig
Well if you didn't notice a wire on the right rear, it's gone. Probably why the light is still on.

#8 ·
If there is suppose to be a sensor wire on the right hand side as well, check that the end of it is not ground to earth (touching metal).
I had my rotors and pads changed, and two days later, my brake pad light came on. Found out that the wire to the pad (think I only have one wire on the left hand side) had broke off and was touching metal part of the car. Replaced wire and problem sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.