Brake pad light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dmonk is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I picked up my 95 318ti the other day and the brake pad wear light was on. This moring I took it to a free brake inspection shop and they told me that the pads on all four wheels were almost new. That they must have been changed within the last few months and that all of the suspension and brakes looked very good... they could not find anything to fix or to charge me for... very nice of them.

However, they did not have a way to turn the brake warning light off. Is there a way that I can do that or do I need to take it to the dealer? I read the FAQ and was able to reset my oil change but it did not seem to work for the brake light. Any help would be great.

Thanks, David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:57 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
hmm thats funny that light goes out by itself , you might need to get new wear sensors on your pads (there are only 2 one in front and one in back

#3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 04:13 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I am sorry. The light is on all the brake light is on all the time. I think it needs to be reset since the brake pads were replaced. I just do not know if I can reset it without the "tool" of if it can be done similar to how the oil is reset.

David
#4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 04:27 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
what im saying is the break warning lamp goes out after the pads have been replaced and the sensor has been either re-installed properly or has been replaced.
sometimes these sensors go bad and they should have been replaced. chances are your sensor(s) have a fault in them or they installed the sensor improperly.

who did the brakes?

#5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:54 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I do not know who did the brakes as there were done before I took ownership of it. It seems to me that when I saw the brakes this mornining that there were electrical leads on the passenger side for both the front and back. Earlier you said that they are only on one side. Is there an easy way to determine what the issue could be? I do not know if they are power on or power off switches or if they can be checked using a volt meter or something. Any help or sugguestions you can provide would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 01:35 AM
ex owner/admin

i never said anything about them being on one side. but there should always be one on ONE the front and ONE on the back personally id just replace both, they arent that expensive and it would save the headache and unnessecary hunting for a possible problem.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:36 AM
n00b

stepan is an unknown quantity at this point
It’s very easy to check –take the wheel off (I think driver’s side), unplug sensor connector -jump 2 male pins and check your light.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thank you Stepan and Furious for the the information.

I think that is what I am looking for... a way to see if the sensor is faulty or if there is something else. I will cross the two male clip to see what happens to the gage. Odds are that it will need to be reduced but at least I will know.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)