BMW Werkz banner

Brake Light Circuit And Tail Light Failure

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  johnnyBgood 
#1 ·
im still getting these reading on my computer but my taillights work, which taillights should be working? i got the two inner lights and the third brake light working? are the outsides not supposed to light up when you press the brake?

#3 ·
done a search and everyone said to change the brake light switch and i have done that and it didnt work

#8 ·
If you have replaced your brake switch already, you will have to check to see if the bulbs are all correct......sometimes the aftermarket bulb contacts don't make good contact. check all the contacts in the bulb sockets for corrosion & burnt ends, something as simple as a burnt corner of the light socket contact will allow the bulb to light, but cause a slight break in continuity which will cause the brake warning........also check all the wiring going up through the trunk lid, there was a thread about this being a commom cause this condition...... here is the thread....
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/attention-all-e36-owners-beware-wiring-55136.html
johnny,

#7 ·
yes it seems like we all have had this problem...no the outer lights do not come on(according to my multimeter)...i have not tried the new brake light switch, but if you have done any brake work, then the fluid may have a little backfeed pressure to the sensors in which the computer "learns" this...i had this same problem after changing my brakes as well...i suggest doing what i did...at least give it a try as it will run you about $0.00! just run the car for a while under normal braking to let the pads expand to normal positions and even though the light comes on, don't worry. then after about a week, simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes...this will reset the computer to start "learning" again. i did this and the light has not come on since(about two months)...hope this helps as it drove me crazy for the first 3 months i had mine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.