Brake Job Complete - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2004, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
As a novice mechanic (that's being generous), I did a four wheel brake job yesterday, and was suprised how easy it was. I was gonna make a DIY for everyone else, but the one in the FAQ section of this site posted by Furious was great.

Also recomended by Furious was my choice of EBC Green Stuff Kevlar pads. Not cheap, but I can already tell they will be good. Supposedly dustless with superior fade and grip to the oem pads.

Just wanted to let everyone know you can deffinately do this yourself, and it is silly to pay anyone else to do it.

Old 06-27-2004, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Good post..... I've done mine a million times... and just never thought to post how easy it is on the forum...

Where did you get your OBD conversion kit from...??... and how truely hard was it?

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Not to bash on the EBC green stuff but they're an awesome pad when you first get them and have good grip and little fade. But once they get a little worn they're crap. How much did everything end up costing you?

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Just cause I'm curious Kevin... what type of pads do you use..... the brake type of course... :

Old 06-27-2004, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
Kevin325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kevin325i
Man, as far as I know the fronts are OE with some ATE power slot rotors. And the rears are like "Captain Cadaver's Special blend" or like-product. It's time for a total over-haul. I'm thinking some Hawk HPs or Pagids. With some brembo slotted rotors.

Experience with EBC green stuff... Dad's ML320. When he first put them on one stop made you sick to your stomach. But now the fade is terrible. His traction control works off of brakes and before it couldn't get sideways at ALL. Now in the snow or mud you can drift it like a rwd car.

Hawk pads experience with my brother's 190e 2.6. They stop good and don't have any fade. But the initial bite really is lacking, and the pedal feel sucks. I wish I knew which compound it is. Only reason I'd consider it is because of the lack of fade and dust.

Oh yeah, those EBCs. NO DUST, it's crazy.

Kevin

"WAAAAAAARRRRRIORS, come out to plaaaaay."
Kevin325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Kev: I paid $140 for all four pads. I was really drawn to the dustlessness of the Green Stuff, and like I said, they came highly recomended from our beloved leader. The rears didn't need changing, but the specs by EBC (ironically enough) said to do front and rear, not just front; as the two different types could add to brake lock (go figure they want you to buy two sets instead of one).

97Alpine: The OBDII-OBDI conversion was purchased and installed by Zionsville Autosports. I'm sure you have already heard of them as they are a very repsected Autohaus amongst the BMW community. IF you haven't, you should. They are VERY knowledgeable and friendly, and have some very cool kits available for the e36 cars including 6speed manual conversions, and the OBDII conversion. Here is a link to give you a better idea of costs {HERE}

It's not cheap, but very well worth it as you not only enjoy more horsepower, but a healthier running engine as well.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Photos:
Thanks jllphan.......

Old 10-24-2004, 02:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
*UPDATE*

I said I would report back on the overall impression of EBC Green Stuff Kevlar Brake pads purchased as recomended by Furious once I had ample time to play.

Initial impression is that they do offer nearly dustelss performance as advertised. As one who loves shiny wheels, this is definately a bonus.

How do they perform? I can sum it up in two words...HOLY SHIT!

Yup, I've been very impressed so far, I don't tax my brakes all the time for fear of warping the rotors, but I was commuting home the other day on the interstate and had to panic brake. Unbelievable. Car in front of me (going too slow in the left lane as usual) obcvously not paying attention over reacts to slow traffic ahead and slammed on the brakes. I did the same, and if anyone would have been 100ft or less behind me, they would have certainly rear ended me. I went from 10ft behind the car in front of me to 60ft back in seconds. Very impressive indeed.

On a spirited drive, they perform as well as any pads I've owned.

The only question I now have is, how long will they last?

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)