Brake Fluid Replacement - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:21 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW328 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Brake Fluid Replacement

Hi

My rear pads are shot on my E36 328i so I am going to overhaul the brake system tomorrow. I have replacement discs front and back and replacement pads for the rear (the only part not showing much wear is the front pads (greenstuff pads)). While doing this I have decided to replace the brake fluid as it hasn't been done in 2 years.

I am happy replacing the discs and pads but what is the best way to replace the fluid? I have been told by one person to drain the old stuff out and then fill and bleed the system and someone else told me to start bleeding the system while someone continually pours new fluid into the old fluid until it bleed the clear fluid (then go to next brake)

Can someone quickly confirm best way (there are 2 of us and a cheap bleed kit). Also how much fluid will I need?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
get yourself a couple bottles of brake fluid (typical use 2qts) u and your bud start bleeding the system while adding new fluid (fastest way to do this is used a suction devise like a turkey baster to remove most of the old fluid from master cyl before you start...then fill with new then all you have to bleed is the lines)

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
n00b

BMW328 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
thanks for that, went relatively hassle free today! All discs and pads replaced and brake fluid changed!

However while doing all this I now need a bit of further advice!

While doing the rears I noticed the inner edge of both tyres were heavily worn (and will need replacing in the next month or two!). The problem is the car has 17" BBS alloys on (with 235/40/17s on the back and koni coilover fully adjustable suspension. Even when set on highest setting the tyre sits right into the arches and unless set relatively hard will rub. I would like to find a way to higher the car maybe 1cm so I can set the suspension a slight bit softer and also would a camber kit resolve the uneven tyre wear issue and is this suitable for my car as the tyre sits right into the arch already!

Thanks for any further help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)