Brake Fluid Always Low....... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
3rd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
(Thread Starter)
I have noticed that my brake fluid is constantly needing to be filled back up. Anyone know if the brake fluid could be burning up or where it might be leaking? Where i park there are not ANY oil stains on the concrete. What should I do, other than refill it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
(Thread Starter)
anyone know if low brake fluid can cause clutch problems like no pressure on the clutch pedal until about 2 inches off the floor? I'm hoping my clutch problem is related to the low brake fluid becuase my dad said something about that and when i filled up my brake fluid just about 20 min ago my clutch pedal started feeling like it was coming back, like pressure higher off the floor, still hasn't completely come back but i'm leaving my car running to see if it will work itself out. any suggestions?
#3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Gkamysz is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes! The clutch uses fluid from the brake reservoir. Check you clutch system for leaks too.

Greg

97 328iS, Manual, Stock
#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:51 PM
2nd Gear Member

funtoos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to funtoos
that exact same thing happened to me.. i kept filling the brake fluid and every two days it would need more... finally i was able to figure out it the slave cylinder that needed to be replaced.

and yes, it is related to clutch since they use the same reservoir... my clutch did not engage at all... it is pretty easy to change the cyclinder and cheap too.. don't go to the stealership....

good luck!!!

'04 330Ci
'00 Kawasaki ZX9-R

Now looking for an M3
#5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
well my clutch seems fine now, it still kind of falls about an inch or two before it has any resistance, still not 100% back. What else can i do? I am going to do a conversion on my 325 to an m3 clutch, but i'd like to wearout my old clutch before i tear open the transmission and mess with the clutch. Were are good spots to look for a leak? just mention a few and i'll see what i can find. thanx for the help guys, i couldn't figure out what was wrong with my clutch. I even had to take out my clutch stop and cut it down once about .5 inches and all for nothing because about 30 min later the clutch was at the floor, lol.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a brake fluid leak in either the braking circuit or the clutch circuit. If you can't find the leak yourself and correct it, you need to take the car to a mechanic ASAP. At any moment you could have no brake fuild and no brakes. This isn't something you can wait around to fix.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah, i figured out that much, i just wanted to know where to start looking for the leak at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)