BMW Werkz banner

brake disscussion

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mech9T8 
#1 ·
All right I had a disscussion over what brake upgrade would be best. Should I go from the no name rotors currently to oem BMW rotors, cross drilled, slotted, or both. Due to my living conditions I can't afford to spend 3-4k on just brakes. I did agree I do drive spirited and I have had out gas issues, but I don't do it enough to put track type stress which won't be enough to damage cross drilled.

I was thinking about going with bavarian autosport ultimates from bavauto or uuc slotted . But I have also thought about obtaining BMW OEM M3 floating rotors but would they fit?

Yes I will be upgrading to uuc SS brake lines.

#2 ·
My vote is for the uuc slotted from those options. I'm not a big fan of drilled and slotted like those ultimates.

#3 ·
Ok... a brief explanation for you....

Slotted rotors... Drilling a rotor is often believed to disrupt the integrity of the rotor. Thus slotted rotors are known to be stronger due to the fact that drilled rotors have stress points unlike those of most slotted rotors. Another argument or fact that could be brought is surface area. With a drilled rotor you have less area touching the brake pad.

Drilled Rotors... The cooling effect of a drilled rotor is beyond compare of that of a slotted rotor. Though a slotted rotor performs better than a stock rotor. The slotted rotor doesnt have enough places to put the gases that build from heat produced by friction. Another upside to drilled is wet driving. These rotors have a high tendency of throughing dirt and sand and mostly water by centrifugal force through the holes and preventing the same build between the rotor and pad that causes brake fad and loss.

Now which to get... my personal opinion... probably drilled. I've had better response with them... meaning you dont have to push the brake pedal all the way down before the pad bites the rotor... as for wet driving... My car is a daily driver sometimes... and it often meets rain... and I like being able to brake quickly in the rain. As for strength... I've never had one warp on me... and I've never had one fail on me...

I also use Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors.... you can get those easily at TMS. They are not exspensive... as I plan to upgrade to a larger brake system in the future.

Good Luck and I hope I helped some.

Les

#4 ·
Well TMS seems like a good buy and now you just made my decision harder. Should I go with the ultimates or zimmerman cross drilled

I do know I'm switchin over to ss brake lines and axis ultimate pads.

I'm going with UUC brake lines because of the blue protective covering which prevents fraying (which hurts)

#8 ·
I recently upgraded to OEM replacement Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Definitely better than OEM and alot less dust.
I am very happy with the results.
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.