BMW Werkz banner

Bought '97 328is: Have questions

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CBD328is 
#1 ·
Hello, new guy here. I just bought a '97 328is w/ 154k on the clock. It was well maintained by the previous owner as well as tastefully modified, but the check engine light came on, as the previous owner told me it would.

I have a code reader and so I took a look last night and codes F5 and F6 came up. "Secondary Air Flow System for Cylinders 1-3 and 3-6 are low." Is this from the airpump that's sits near the passenger side firewall being busted?

Code 08 also came up, "mass air flow." Does this mean the voltage reading isn't correct at idle or the wire is broken or something else? If it is broken, my standard rule is to always upgrade (ie. more power...).

Any help/suggestions is much appreciated.

thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Had the F5 F6 problem with my wife's 97 528i. There is a vacuum actuated valve that allows the air pump to pump air into the exhaust manifold. These fail open. THis allows hot exhaust gas into the air pump and causes it to corrode and fail. First fix the valve, then fix the air pump. The system uses the O2 sensors to test to see if the air pump is working, so you can't trick it to turn off the check engine light. Don't know about the other problem.

#4 ·
Great, thanks! I have a quote for the valve and the pump. I'll try the valve first and see if that stops the error codes. Of course, the codes are only popping up once a month so it will be a while before I know for sure if it's fixed.

Again, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.