BMW won't start... :'( - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
TupacInLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy BMW won't start... :'(

Hi i got a 92 bmw 325i.. the car wouldn't start at all unless i jumpstarted it.. so i went and bought a new battery for it... got it and installed.. but heres the problem.. the car won't start.. the radio and lights work fine now, but the engine won't turn on...

i turn the key and somewhere in the engine it makes some clicking noises, but no engine struggle like if it was trying to turn on... It just clicks. I'm guessing its the starter.. So im like ok.. no biggy. Ill just bang on the starter.. pop my hood. and i can't find the starter.. im stumped.

Me and a friend tried to listen for where the clicks are coming from.. but its no where visible though..

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced this before? You all are my last hope before taking my baby to the dreaded dealer's service center.

thanks matt.
TupacInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
the starter is kind of hiden on these cars, and your problem deffiently lies there... to get to it you have to get under the car...yes it sucks... goto the top of thise36 forum and download the bentley manual from the sticky there for free... then goto page 121 and itll tell you exactly what you need to do...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
ex owner/admin

Car: turbo e36 325/s50 and e46 330xi
Photos:
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
started is in a very bad location, and very hard to get to, its under the intake manifold at the back of the engine. if you have a bently manual than you may be able to do this yourselves. but even though ive done it before, i dont think i would want to do it again myself.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
started is in a very bad location, and very hard to get to, its under the intake manifold at the back of the engine. if you have a bently manual than you may be able to do this yourselves. but even though ive done it before, i dont think i would want to do it again myself.
ya when i reaplaced my starter it was hell! i took out the tranny just to get to it because i was getting pretty poed... but that also rewarded me in a uuc stage 2 flywheel and clutch!
Old 04-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
cool thanks for the tips...

i got the bentley manual.. and wow. impressed. lot of information.. ok so i guess i need to get those profesional jacks to raise the front of my car in order to get to the starter huh?

damn theres more money...

:S
Old 04-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
"the car wouldn't start at all unless i jumpstarted it.." If the car started with a jump, then the problem is NOT the starter. The starter works.

When you hear clicks, you are hearing the starter solenoid engaging. If the engine is not turning over, it's because there is not enough voltage. Either your new battery is not fully charged, is defective, or your connection to the starter and or ground is not good. Check your battery is fully charged, and that
your connections are clean especially the ground where it connects to the engine.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Hear Furios, I also tried to do it myself until I saw the location and where the bolts where and said ($*&@(#$!!!

I just left if to the pros when they changed my clutch at the tranny shop
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupacInLA
cool thanks for the tips...

i got the bentley manual.. and wow. impressed. lot of information.. ok so i guess i need to get those profesional jacks to raise the front of my car in order to get to the starter huh?

damn theres more money...

:S
its a great investment though so i wouldnt go cheap with that stuff... get a quality one and you wont regret it! also, for just the starter if your running low on cash you can probibly just buy ramps for the car since you dont need to work on suspension and such... maybe even build ramps if your not lazy like me haha
Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator
"the car wouldn't start at all unless i jumpstarted it.." If the car started with a jump, then the problem is NOT the starter. The starter works.

When you hear clicks, you are hearing the starter solenoid engaging. If the engine is not turning over, it's because there is not enough voltage. Either your new battery is not fully charged, is defective, or your connection to the starter and or ground is not good. Check your battery is fully charged, and that
your connections are clean especially the ground where it connects to the engine.
ok i think it has to do with the battery. today i tried jumpstarting it from the battery... and walla it worked! drove it around for 20 mins.. parked turned it off. tried to turn it back on and damn... not even the electrical is working now. I checked the battery and the positive was off the battery..

My conclusion is that either the battery cables need changing because they are rusted and corroded. I will post pics of them and u guys can tell me.. but one question..

If the cables aren't tightened correctly on the battery, can that prevent the car from starting? Or is it the rust on the battery cables?

Some pics...

What do u guys think?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
it always helps to have you battery connected when you start your car... yes...
Old 04-30-2006, 07:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
it always helps to have you battery connected when you start your car... yes...
it was connected.. but it just makes these clicking sounds whenever i try to start it...

I said that after i jumpstarted the car and drove it was when the positive came loose off the battery.

I just want to know if its because the cables are corroded is making the car not start instead of just giving me clicks... u kno?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupacInLA
it was connected.. but it just makes these clicking sounds whenever i try to start it...

I said that after i jumpstarted the car and drove it was when the positive came loose off the battery.

I just want to know if its because the cables are corroded is making the car not start instead of just giving me clicks... u kno?
if you have a volt meter just check and see how much power is comming out of it... id go ahead a clean the wires just for the hell of it because those are pretty corroded already... give it a try then and if not id try a battery from a friends car and see if it works... then if it does then buy a new battery...

im willing to bet a new strong battery will work real well...
Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
E36 325I is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to E36 325I
i got a 92 and i was having a similar problem with it....all i did was took some baking soda mixed with some water and cleaned my connections to the battery...and by the looks of yours in the pics it looks like there screaming for a nice baking soda shower:lol:

My dad told me if you ever have any problems starting any car the first thing you should to is clean the connections to the battery...i would try this if i was you
E36 325I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
if you got money to spare, id clean those connectors and buy a new battery...

my car always runs better with a new one!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Gator is an unknown quantity at this point
If the positive was loose enough to come off, it definitely would cause your car not to start even with a new battery. Go out and buy a battery post cleaning tool. Clean both the battery posts and the cable connectors with it. Then make sure the connections are tight to the battery posts. Your car should start if the battery is ok. If not jump it again and let it run awhile to charge the battery. You should be good to go. It wouldn't hurt to change the cables, but it's probably not necessary.
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)