BMW Virgin: Interested in buying an E36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:35 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mhardy85 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question BMW Virgin: Interested in buying an E36

Sorry if this has been asked before, if it has, point me in the right direction.

I'm looking at buying a 97 328is, 5 speed with 215,000 KMs. The asking price is 5600 CDN. I don't know anything about BMWs and would just like to know if there are any issues I should be looking for. I've always had Hondas and Acuras, so I know what to look for with them, but when it comes to any BMW, I'm lost. With a car of this age and mileage, what do you guys suggest I check out? Is there any specific maintenance I should check on? I'll be asking about timing belt, water pump, but that's about all I know to ask.

If I get the car for 5000, is that a decent deal?

Thanks for the help, it will be greatly appreciated.
mhardy85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM
OMFG another one!?
 
witeshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Miami FL
Posts: 14,701
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
There's a lot of info to help you right in this section.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
witeshark is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator
 
johnnyBgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy85 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before, if it has, point me in the right direction.

I'm looking at buying a 97 328is, 5 speed with 215,000 KMs. The asking price is 5600 CDN. I don't know anything about BMWs and would just like to know if there are any issues I should be looking for. I've always had Hondas and Acuras, so I know what to look for with them, but when it comes to any BMW, I'm lost. With a car of this age and mileage, what do you guys suggest I check out? Is there any specific maintenance I should check on? I'll be asking about timing belt, water pump, but that's about all I know to ask.

If I get the car for 5000, is that a decent deal?

Thanks for the help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Found this link for you.......the coolant system is prone to fail, things to look for are listed in the link.....I have had some experience with all listed on the coolant issuses...ended up replacing water pump, thermostat housing...1st & then eventually the upper
radiator neck failed.....parts are fairly cheap & I consider the e36 one the easiest cars to service.......

United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help

link for E36 DIY's
BMW E36 DIY (Do It Yourself)

p.s. no timing belt on the 2.8 DOHC 24 Valve Inline 6......timing chain

______________________________________
_______________________97 E36|Conforti Software|M50 Manifold|AFE|Borla|H&R| Bilstein |Eibach|Rockford|3.15 LSD
____________________________________________http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129109

Last edited by johnnyBgood; 04-07-2009 at 05:41 PM.
johnnyBgood is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mhardy85 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybayonne View Post
Found this link for you.......the coolant system is prone to fail, things to look for are listed in the link.....I have had some experience with all listed on the coolant issuses...ended up replacing water pump, thermostat housing...1st & then eventually the upper
radiator neck failed.....parts are fairly cheap & I consider the e36 one the easiest cars to service.......

United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help

link for E36 DIY's
BMW E36 DIY (Do It Yourself)
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. This will be a great help
mhardy85 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator
 
johnnyBgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy85 View Post
That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. This will be a great help
You will not be disappointed, The E36 inline 6 is a great car!

johnny,

______________________________________
_______________________97 E36|Conforti Software|M50 Manifold|AFE|Borla|H&R| Bilstein |Eibach|Rockford|3.15 LSD
____________________________________________http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129109
johnnyBgood is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mhardy85 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I'm leaning towards it, I'm just weary about maintenance costs. I don't mind doing most regular maintenance myself, I just don't want to have to pay too much for the parts. I'm sure I can find lots of info on that throughout this forum though.
mhardy85 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Ich bin der Modifikator
 
johnnyBgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bayonne, NJ
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough johnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhardy85 View Post
I'm leaning towards it, I'm just weary about maintenance costs. I don't mind doing most regular maintenance myself, I just don't want to have to pay too much for the parts. I'm sure I can find lots of info on that throughout this forum though.
Parts prices are not bad at all......example: water pump about $67.00, radiator $166.00 link below:

Select Your Model

______________________________________
_______________________97 E36|Conforti Software|M50 Manifold|AFE|Borla|H&R| Bilstein |Eibach|Rockford|3.15 LSD
____________________________________________http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3129109
johnnyBgood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW Virgin irish lad New Members Check In 3 02-08-2009 12:17 PM
Brake Pad Virgin Neil Paz 3-Series (E21, E30) 4 10-11-2006 02:38 PM
Noobie Interested In Bmw, Need Advice... JSOL0325 3-Series (E46, E90) 3 12-30-2004 09:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome