BMW Werkz banner

BMW spark plugs

7K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Henri 
#1 ·
I remember Jllphan said that he bought BMW dual electrode spark plugs. I just went to the dealer today to purcahse new spark plugs. I'm swapping them again (went from +4 to +2, now back to oem). I've been having some misfire problems. I can't use full throttle at times and there is hesistation, usually after changing gear and getting back on the throttle. Anyways, I bought BMW NGK dual electrode plugs which I believe is a copper core (it looks like a copper plug, but the tip is silver). Anyways, just wondering if this is the one you bought as well. I paid $40CDN ($58 without BMWCC membership) for all 4. I hope this solves my problem. I'm just waiting for my motor to cool down so I can change them. I think I remember you said they were BOSCH and not NGK right? Anyways, I've given up on any type of Platinum spark plug, what a waste of money.

Bry

#3 ·
Originally posted by Kevin325i@Jul 15 2004, 05:07 PM
Bosch and NGK are both OEM. They gave me NGKs, how long did you drive on them? If it was just a trip around the block they might be fouling out temporarily and they need to get warmed up a little.
No no, I haven't installed them yet. I'm using the BOSCH +2's right now. Previously I was using +4's. When the platinum plugs are brand new I find they work ok. When they show a bit of wear (less than half a year) I start to get misfire. Anyways, I'm going to install the plugs tonight and see if it improves anything.

My question was just to Jllphan and whether he was using the NGK or BOSCH dual electrode plugs.

Bry

#5 ·
I just came back from a test drive after installing the NGK BMW plugs. They work great. No more misfire and the idle seems smoother. One of my 3 month old BOSCH +2's must have been coroded, what crappy plugs. I had problems with both the BOSCH Platinum +2's and +4's. I bet I could use these BMW/NGK copper plugs for more than 4 years without ever experiencing a problem.

Anyways, save yourself some big bucks and avoid buying any sort of platinum plug. Unless you have a hard tuned motor and you require it, you're really better off without it.

Bry

#6 ·
funny cuz i called the bmw dealer here and he said for oem NGKs its only 5 bu. docks each. for +4's he said 16 a piecent know why u paid so much
Q

#7 ·
sorry my laptop helped me mistype
i meant:
funny cuz i called the bmw dealer here and he said for oem NGKs its only 5 bucks each. for +4's he said 16 a piece dont know why u paid so much
Q

#8 ·
Originally posted by Q_BMW@Jul 15 2004, 11:11 PM
sorry my laptop helped me mistype
i meant:
funny cuz i called the bmw dealer here and he said for oem NGKs its only 5 bucks each. for +4's he said 16 a piece dont know why u paid so much
Q
As far as I know the dealer doesn't sell +4's, is it an official BMW dealer? I can buy +4's at a local Canadian Tire for $30CDN for all 4. Anyways, the price I paid was in Canadian $$$ and I couldn't find the same NGK plugs that other places offered. I'm not sure if there is a difference, but mine has the BMW logo printed on the spark plug.

Bry

#9 ·
hey
ya this is the price given to me from a BMW dealership
Q

#10 ·
I just got back from putting my plugs in too. NGK's same plugs that were in it from the factory. after 36,000 miles they were starting to round the electrode a little, but that is normal wear. My conclusion is that my car seems to run alot smoother, however I still have a little roughness in my idle, so I guess I will be buying the idle control motor that mounts on the side of the lower intake manifold.
Next project is changing the fuel filter :D

I picked my plugs up at the NAPA store that I work at list is $10.98 a plug, my cost was $3.29 a plug. I also wiped the boots off, put anit sieze on the threads of the plugs, and a little dab of dielectric grease in the plug boot.

#14 ·
hey
i called one bmw dealer and they said for a 1996 328i the OEM plugs are either NGK's or BOSH copper ones and each are 6 bucks
I called another dealer (closer) to me and he said for my car the stock ones are BOSH not NGK.
anyone know what the stock is on a 96 328i or does it matter ?
Q

#15 ·
Q: The plugs in my post ARE oem replacements. If you don't believe me, check your owners manual.

As far as iridium plugs go, they are also a waste of time. As I have stated before, the oem ignition system runs at a very low voltage, there is not enough voltage to supply a hotter plug. If you upgraded your ignition to a plasma based system, iridium plugs would be the way to go. :D

#17 ·
hey
i went to the dealer and he gave me BOSH OEM ones at 5.95 a piece. I popped them in ( the oem ones on mine were Bosh too), so far its working all good...no issues
Q

#18 ·
with any of these OEM plugs, do they need to be gapped or do they already come ready to plug in?

#20 ·
I believe the consensus among long term BMW owners is that the copper core plugs are the best for our cars. If we follow the Level II maintenance procedures we are changing plugs every 30,000 miles, lots of discussion on the plug issue at roadfly.com especially on the E32 board. I own a 1988 750 and change plugs (copper core) every 30,000 miles(god, numbers 11 and 12 are bad news).

#24 ·
These are the OEM plugs and are the same as the ones removed.
The old plugs have a slight brown finish with some black powder
and rounding indicating that they need to be replaced since firing is weak.
The idle is fine just want to know anyone had experience in this
area just replacing plugs at 114k miles. I am sure the dealer never
did this since I have discovered everytime they miss something
like replacing all the belts except the inner belt, nice touch and it broke
love that. Also leaving tools in the engine bay, hey finders keepers.
So anyone out there. I imagine it is emissions since the BMW was tuned
to these old plugs.

#26 ·
Yeh reading the code is obvious but BMW like.
Thought there might be someone out here who
would know right off hand. everything has been checked for
connections. I replaced the plugs in my Porsche 911 and
never had such an offensive disposition given to me by the
car but thats Porsche not BMW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.