BMW purchase advice - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:54 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GreatDane731 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
BMW purchase advice

Ive been really wanting a BMW and i saved up some money. And im thinking that im ready to make a purchase i have never purchased or drovea bmw before but i love the look and what ive seen and heard from other. But i have heard some negatives for bmws as well mainly the maintenance. I really want a used 3 series from 2001-04 coupe im trying to stay around 10 at max maybe a little over but just wanted to know if there is a better of the 3 series bmw and what should i look out for when purchasing them??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:10 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

If your looking for an 01-04 that will be the E46 3 Series. Price wise, its not an issue to find one for less then $10,000 depending on the model.

With the E46 theirs a couple things to look for. Personally I would not get one unless it was an 03-04 model. The 99-02 models had subframe issues. Unless the owner can show you receipts that the re-enforcement was completed I would avoid them. For the 2003 model year this was fixed and is not an issue.

The cooling system can be a bit of a weak point due to the plastic used. Plastic breaks down over time and becomes brittle. If the vehicle has never had any of the system replaced (thermostat, water pump, thermostat cover, expansion tank, upper/lower hoses) and the car is pushing over 100,000 miles then its something you will need to look into replacing at some point. However you can get overhaul kits from retailers for around or less then $500. This will give you peace of mind for another 150,000 miles.

The M54 engine found in the E46 is exceptionally well built and is quite durable overall. Ensure that the previous owner has documentation for maintenace over the life of the car. Always, always have the car inspected by a licensed shop prior to purchase. But that applies to any car.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:32 PM
n00b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GreatDane731 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I really appreciate the advice Lord Vader i definitely will keep that in mind when going out to purchase one cant wait until i get my hands on a bmw. now just have to find a good one for a decent price. one last question do you have any clue what the estimated maintenance schedule for the big jobs in these cars i really rather not purchase something if it is right before a big job is schedule?
#4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Depends on how the owner has maintained it. Obviously their is the standard oil change every 8,000 miles, and the fuel filter and air filter at 20,000. The transmission filter should be changed every 50,000 miles or once every two years based on milage. Dont buy into the "lifetime fluid" garbage because its not true.

This link below outlines the BMW Inspection I and Inspection II service. It shows you what is done during each service and at which internals everything needs to be done at if you scroll down.

BMW Inspection I & II: Bimmerzone.com

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)