Are Bmw Bodies Typically Well Constructed? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW-ATI is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW-ATI
(Thread Starter)
or not? like the frame and bodies are they typicaly well contructed, Like do they rust easy, or does stuff fall off easy?

just wondering if anyone has any experience or technical knowledge about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
well, i'm not an expert at this or anything, but from my experience with bmw, they are very well constructed vehicles. Of course they rust just like any other vehicle, but that is only if they aren't kept up well or something like that, typically however they do not rust, most people with a bmw keep them up enough so that they don't rust. also they don't lose part easily (from my own experience), they only thing i have ever lost is an exhaust hanger and bolt (just a small peice, and cheap to replace) but no large or significant peices have fallen off, lol

i think you are safe on these with a bimmer
#3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
what about the frame and stuff?
#4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
/Banned

xsperf is an unknown quantity at this point
well let me tell you this.. BMW's have a very thick layer of meterial(its almost like rubber) on the bottom of the car, so none of the chassis on the bottom of the car is rusted because this stuff is like 1/2 inch thick
#5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
it's all good except e36 foglights are gay

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:36 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Not exactly true. The rear subframe, area around the strut mounts, and around the tranny mounts are all places that I have heard can go bad. I've only heard of the tranny once and the rear subframe and area around the strut mounts multiple times.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I thought the rear subframe only fails if you like push it really hard, Like racing and stuff
by putting to much pressure on them

and btw is the rear subframe problem easy to fix, or is it like literally, replacement of metal for like the whole car, basically is it like literally coming through the cars metal , or is it like something else? cause if so, that would be an expensive fix
#8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:38 AM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
rear subframe requires extensive work to repair. You have to remove everything from the rear end. Not a fun job. As far as the BMW body I bet that wears down before your engine does. You can still squeeze out a hell of alot of miles compared to other makers, but the chassis is not BMW's strongest point..

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally posted by 93 325i@Apr 8 2005, 08:38 AM
rear subframe requires extensive work to repair. You have to remove everything from the rear end. Not a fun job. As far as the BMW body I bet that wears down before your engine does. You can still squeeze out a hell of alot of miles compared to other makers, but the chassis is not BMW's strongest point..
[snapback]328292[/snapback]
this is true, however, it does not mean that the chassis is crap, they are still made great, if you are talking about performance wise then you will def. want to put a few stiffeners on your ride like a strut tower bar for front and rear optional and upgrade sway bars, they do flex quiet a bit stock
#10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
well if it's just stock the rear subframe shouldnt do that should it?
i mean i drive my car hard, but it's still stock
#11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Neutral Member

e30driver is an unknown quantity at this point
well i got rear ended in my e30(i was stoped). nothing happened to my car not even a scratch on bumper. but the nessan fronters front was f-up. and i can still go down the street at 60 with no hands. so they are good.
#12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:28 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I am not saying that they are built like crap. But the fact of the matter is if you are on these forums you enjoy driving your car... in perhaps a less than legal manner in some instances... Keeping these cases in mind, it is true that if you baby your car everywhere then nothing body wise will break. But really if any one here does that I will be surprised. So yeah not saying that it is crap, but the body is not bullet proof. Also they are very safe cars for collisions. It's just if you do drive them like the "Ultimate Driving Machines" then you may end up with some broken pieces.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
So I should get these parts?

what would be suggested
like as far as keeping the frame intact and stuff?
and how much
perhaps some linkage lol?
#14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
there is a subframe re-enforcement kit on turnermotorsports.com...i alos need to get it...its only $200 but it requires welding and that shit will be like 700-800 bux..thats where u get raped...but honelty that is a mod im highly considering soon...

Subframe Kits...Click here

#15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:10 AM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
Generally the rear subframe failures only happen on the cars built before 1993. If i was turning my car strictly into a track rat i would def. reinforce the rear subframe. Also the front frame rails are somewhat flexable, they do not connect horizontally.. so the Xbrace installed on the M3's and some convertables is a nice upgrade to tighten up your handling.

I dont know about you cali guys, but i see alot of rusty e36's around my area.. if you live in NE i would highly suggest recoating your underbody if you have an early model car.

IMO the engine is the best part of these cars,but the chassis' are not by any means cheap or not well made. I think what most ppl fail to realize is how long these cars have really been around.. my car was built in 1993, and its 2005 now.. thats 12 years of abuse and hard driving, i highly doubt any american car could even come close to the longevity that BMW's have.. while still being able to perform extremely well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)