bmw 318 1.8 16v engne turns but wont start help please!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zonedemon is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
bmw 318 1.8 16v engne turns but wont start help please!!!

hi i bought a bmw 318 is inside and out it is mint not a single dent nor scratch and its ina lovely deep rich blue colour, problem is they car just wont start it turns over but wont start and i dont know if i have the ht leads or coil pack connected correctly if anyone can help me with that, also i bought it knowing it needed the head gasket doing but could that be a cause as to it nor firing up?

ive had a car before with a head gasket problem but that always started so im confused on that subject as the guy said no engine with a head gasket gone will run.

yesterday i had t turning over nothing, today i fiddled with the coil pack and ht leads and ive managed to get it making a popping noise like its trying but no compression to fire up idk so any help would be great thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Frozen 318i is on a distinguished road
Compression Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedemon View Post
hi i bought a bmw 318 is inside and out it is mint not a single dent nor scratch and its ina lovely deep rich blue colour, problem is they car just wont start it turns over but wont start and i dont know if i have the ht leads or coil pack connected correctly if anyone can help me with that, also i bought it knowing it needed the head gasket doing but could that be a cause as to it nor firing up?

ive had a car before with a head gasket problem but that always started so im confused on that subject as the guy said no engine with a head gasket gone will run.

yesterday i had t turning over nothing, today i fiddled with the coil pack and ht leads and ive managed to get it making a popping noise like its trying but no compression to fire up idk so any help would be great thank you.

You could run a compression test to see if you have compression but i would just get the head gasket fixed first and check the fuel and ignition system as you are putting the car back together.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 08:47 PM
n00b

Handymanbob is on a distinguished road
I have a 96 BMW 318i 1.9 and my Head Gasket was busted and it was pushing my radiator fluid out the reservior. I replaced the Head Gasket but fail to ensure the head was true. I couldn't get my car to start because of low compression, not enough to get motor running. What i did to test the seal at the pistons for compression is put heavy duty oil in each cylinder and it started on the dime but as soon as the oil burned off it shut down. The Final out come for me was to replace the entire engine because it would cost me more to have the engine removed,shaved to true and reinstalled. I just purchased another BMW 98 for less money and swapped the entire system.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonedemon View Post

Has to be electrical and this could be many things... Alternator, relay, wiring,fuse, CAM SENSOR... The list can go on... Have a real good hunt around in there, but do it methodically, I mean eliminate each ideas I've mentioned ! Good Luck.

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 AM
/Banned

Randyboyy is on a distinguished road
How should we choose properly....?
I want to get know it .......
#6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM
n00b

Handymanbob is on a distinguished road
I don't understand what you are asking.
How should you choose what ?
You want to get know it, What ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)