Blower Only Works on Setting 4 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rfthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Blower Only Works on Setting 4

I have seen several others on the forum with this problem: Fan settings 1, 2, and 3 do not work.....only fan setting 4 (high) works. Those threads have helped, but I need just a little more.

To correct this problem, the dealer has now replaced my "Fan Final Stage Unit" twice. The problem has once again arisen. Now, the dealer states they must replace my blower to the tune of $800! I have decided to decline the service and try to fix the problem myself. The majority of advice out on the forum is that the problem lies in the "Blower Fan Resistor" and not the blower itself.

Question: Is the Blower Fan Resistor the same thing as the Fan Final Stage Unit? If so, do you think the problem does in fact reside in the blower motor? If not, I suppose I will try and replace the resistor to see if that solves the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfthomas
I have seen several others on the forum with this problem: Fan settings 1, 2, and 3 do not work.....only fan setting 4 (high) works. Those threads have helped, but I need just a little more.
i'm having a similar problem except mine doesn't work in 1 or 2 but 3 and 4 both work. anyone?
#3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:38 PM
2nd Gear Member

e36surge is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to e36surge Send a message via MSN to e36surge
It's the resistor. Got this from another site. Changed mine in the fall and all the levels were back. I also cleaned my blower, the fan had a lot of dirt on it so I cleaned it all off. Not easy to get to.

Your blower resistor is probably kaput.
To replace it, remove the driver side underdash panel, crawl into the footwell and look above and to the right of the gas pedal for a device plugged into the side of the plenum connected to four wires. It is roughly trapezoidal in shape, and probably molded of white plastic. Disconnect the wiring plug, pull it out and go to the dealer for a replacement (~$40-50). The original on my car had an exposed coil design, while the new one had a heavier duty solid-state resistor.

Source: http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...MotorProb.html

I don't think they're the same thing. See link below on what the final stage unit looks like. If you scroll lower they also show you a pic of what the BLOWER RESISTOR looks like.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?p=3349096

I hope this helps.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

1979 320is RiP
1994 318is Sold
1995 325is Sold
1995 530i Sold
2004 M3

Last edited by e36surge; 01-11-2006 at 08:46 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:15 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Yep. Blower resistor. Kyle, your symptom should have thesame fix.

#5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36surge
It's the resistor. Got this from another site. Changed mine in the fall and all the levels were back. I also cleaned my blower, the fan had a lot of dirt on it so I cleaned it all off. Not easy to get to.

Your blower resistor is probably kaput.
To replace it, remove the driver side underdash panel, crawl into the footwell and look above and to the right of the gas pedal for a device plugged into the side of the plenum connected to four wires. It is roughly trapezoidal in shape, and probably molded of white plastic. Disconnect the wiring plug, pull it out and go to the dealer for a replacement (~$40-50). The original on my car had an exposed coil design, while the new one had a heavier duty solid-state resistor.

Source: http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylo...MotorProb.html

I don't think they're the same thing. See link below on what the final stage unit looks like. If you scroll lower they also show you a pic of what the BLOWER RESISTOR looks like.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?p=3349096

I hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz
Yep. Blower resistor. Kyle, your symptom should have thesame fix.

thanx guys i'll check it out and see if i can fix it myself, hope i don't have to take it somewhere, lol, cash isn't flowing well these days (college ) later
#6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought the "resistor" problem only affected cars with the "rotary dials"? And the "final stage" problem on the electronic controls?????used:

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 AM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
^thats what i thought too.. OBDI had the resistor and OBDII had the final stage for electronic conrols. What year car do you have rfthomas?

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:53 AM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 325i
^thats what i thought too.. OBDI had the resistor and OBDII had the final stage for electronic conrols. What year car do you have rfthomas?
so if we have obd1 we don't even have to worry about the final stage unit? good, that means this will be cheaper than i thought! :
#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:49 PM
n00b

rfthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My 325i is a '94 and has rotary controls. Are you saying those morons at the dealer replaced the final stage unnecessarily? Well, I am going to order the resistor and swap it out. Good thing it is so cheap. It sure beats replacing the whole blower motor at ten times the price! Thanks for the help.....I'll post again with results.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

tomctx is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfthomas
My 325i is a '94 and has rotary controls. Are you saying those morons at the dealer replaced the final stage unnecessarily? Well, I am going to order the resistor and swap it out. Good thing it is so cheap. It sure beats replacing the whole blower motor at ten times the price! Thanks for the help.....I'll post again with results.

May just be a difference in terminology. I believe they used the name "final stage" for the "resistor pack". I think they are both circuit boards. Someone here that has used the "capacitor fix" should know more about it.

1995 325I, window tint, K&N, debaffled airbox, BMW #104 wheels, Nighthawk low beams, smoked side markers, smoked corners, smoked taillights, M3 stlye heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)