Black inky liquid out of tail pipe!? help... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 08:54 PM
quality

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Black inky liquid out of tail pipe!? help...

BACKSTORY:
My 1995 318i was parked in storage for 6 months whiles I was working abroad and traveling cross country back to NYC. I came back and restarted everything. I noticed right away my tank was on E-orange light on (it was a quarter of the way full..maybe little less than that when I left it 6 months ago). I filled the tank up and drove around for about 3 miles before my "Check Engine" light came on and then went out again.
I ran the codes and got code 1222: Lambda Control #1 which most likely (and its my best guess) meant that the tank was on E for a long time and whatever gas was in the tank spoiled (or got oxygenated...oxygen mixing in) which in turn meant the O2 Sensor was picking up irregularities in the lean/rich mixture and setting off the "Check Engine" light.
My AMF was brand new 30,000 miles ago and I don't think its my O2 Sensor or the Check Engine light would've stayed on and gave code 1221.

TODAY:
I drove her around for a bit and notice alot of rough and inconsistent idling especially whenever I stopped at a redlight or stop sign. At times the car didn't even accelerate when I gased it and felt weak, like the engine was getting power and would die out on me. The "Check Engine" light came on and off a few times.
And tonight I parked it, floored the gas a few times to rev up the engine and after I got out I looked back and saw that black inky liquid had spewed out of the tail pipe.

My mechanic told me to drive out the gas tank to E and fill it all the way up again so the "bad" old gas will burn out and the current gas will dominate and give better performance.

That sounded too wierd to me so I'm here seeing what opinions I can get from real BMW drivers.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
drain the tank... then fill it up with premium and a can of seafoam and see if that cures it up!

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Actually it's the 02 Sensor.
I have exactly all the symptoms below and the black inky liquid is the backfire.

Quote:
There are a few signs that your oxygen sensor may be failing. In general, it is difficult to diagnose problems with the sensor, unless all of the other components in the fuel injection system have been checked and determined to be operating correctly. Some of the symptoms of a failed oxygen sensor system are:

-Irregular idle during warm-up
-Irregular idle with warm engine
-Engine will not accelerate and backfires
-Poor engine performance
-Fuel consumption is high
-Driving performance is weak
-CO concentration at idle is too high or too low
-Check Engine light is illuminated

#4 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
did you check it with a DDM?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Bah. Just drive the 5er.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 PM
n00b

sexSpaceTV.vom is on a distinguished road
to fix it $2100

i had the same problem my mechanic charged me $2100
to fix it
#7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexSpaceTV.vom View Post
i had the same problem my mechanic charged me $2100
to fix it
No way dude!
I just now bought a new O2 sensor off eBay for $25. I will see if I can put it myself when it comes or take t over to autozone rent the Bosch tool for free, have them jack up my car for free and swap it out for free.

#8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 AM
quality

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Bah. Just drive the 5er.
That is my daily.
My 318i is my first love!
Besides the 5er is a lease, the 318i I own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)