BMW Werkz banner

Bilstein Touring Shocks

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  thekid 
#1 ·
hey guyz,
i think my 92' 325i needs new struts and shocks... i was doing a little search and the best i could come up with was bilstein Touring Class shocks for $289... everything else was more than $500 (no springs)...
are these any good? can i get a better deal than this? or are these not worth it and thats why they are cheap?
please post if any specific place has better deals...
thanx

#2 ·
i have been looking at struts for the pas month now and comparing different brands. form what i gathered from my research on this forum, it seems that the bilstein touring glass will give you that same factory ride. the HD and Sport shocks/struts will give you a stiffer ride. the sport shocks/struts will lower your car too. hope this helps. not sure if this is true for your model bmw. by the way i have an e30.

#4 ·
You'll lower your car only if you get the sport springs to accompany the bilstein sports. My sense is the Touring aren't bad, but not an upgrade.
I wouldn't get them. Get the Sports and H & R sport lowering springs if you can.

BTW: I have a set of rear used Boge shocks(less than 10K) , and original BMW sport suspension springs with 50K on them. I replaced them with Dinan stage 1 suspension. :thumbs

#5 ·
Originally posted by theogill@Nov 28 2004, 11:37 PM
You'll lower your car only if you get the sport springs to accompany the bilstein sports. My sense is the Touring aren't bad, but not an upgrade.
I wouldn't get them. Get the Sports and H & R sport lowering springs if you can.

BTW: I have a set of rear used Boge shocks(less than 10K) , and original BMW sport suspension springs with 50K on them. I replaced them with Dinan stage 1 suspension. :thumbs
[snapback]239264[/snapback]​
theogill,
how much do u want for them?
rear shocks?
spring - would that lower my car? how much?

#6 ·
Tourings are OEM Replacement shocks, don't use them with performance springs as they are a waste of money. Get Bilstein Sport.

The only difference is that Tourings are Gas pressure, OEM is not.

Bry

#7 ·
I was not planning to use performance springs... but then i don't know (if i get a good deal somewhere i might)...
but if i just wanted to replace the struts/shocks and keep the original springs (since they dont go bad or do they?), do you think the bilstein touring are worth it? or is it a waste of money and i am better off just getting some others for cheaper price?
thanx guyz

#8 ·
Originally posted by funtoos@Nov 29 2004, 11:12 AM
I was not planning to use performance springs... but then i don't know (if i get a good deal somewhere i might)...
but if i just wanted to replace the struts/shocks and keep the original springs (since they dont go bad or do they?), do you think the bilstein touring are worth it? or is it a waste of money and i am better off just getting some others for cheaper price?
thanx guyz
[snapback]239379[/snapback]​
A cheaper solution is SACHS Boge's Automatic gas shocks. I've used them before with both OEM springs and aftermarket lowering springs. They work great with both combinations. They are slightly stiffer than stock but are sold as OEM replacement shocks as well. They have lifetime warranty like the Bilsteins and are a fraction of the price.

$150CDN each for Bilstein TC and $90CDN each for Boge Auto Gas.

#9 ·
Per your PM, you could get the springs and rear Boge's from me, and then buy the front Boge Struts. SOunds like they're a good match according to earlier post.

By the way, why d oyou think you need new shocks? How many miles on your car? It's possible if you have a sloppy front or back (no offense :p ) that it could be other front components, like control arm bushings, tie rods, etc.

Now, will my units from a 98 328i fit your 92? Also, you'll want to change your rear shock mounts (RSM's) with better ones (do a search).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.