BMW Werkz banner

Big Vanos Problems

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dutchbmw 
#1 ·
Someone I know has a 94 e36 with VANOS (320/325). He does have a lot of trouble with this system; the car jerks sometimes while driving it and the idle is irregular. The strangest thing of this all is that it happens not all the time.

The BMW dealership has had read out the DME (computer) a while ago and the BMW research system did give this message: 'mechanical malfunction, VANOS problem'. This problem comes mostly when the engine is not yet on operation temperature. They already have changed the crankshaft position sensor and gas valve sensor. All this shit did cost him 700 euros (~925 USD) until now (research and repairs).

The car is back now from the dealer and the problem isn't solved. Even there are more problems now; the odo and revs gauge are going to zero while driving (not all the time) and the service light appears while driving.

BMW says they have changed the (Siemens) DME...

We need your help because we are a little sceptical to bring this bimmer to the dealer again!

#2 ·
wow, sounds crazy. I can tell you that I have a late 93 325i with vanos and I have never experienced a problem yet. Sounds like there's something expensive going on though.

#3 ·
Yes, it's a crazy problem..... He don't want to bring his car to the dealer again because of the $$$ and it isn't sure if the problem is gone then. Anyone have had this problem with VANOS??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.