BMW Werkz banner

Bent valve - 1994 325is

5K views 19 replies 2 participants last post by  kait_e36 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here,
Last night I bent a valve..instead of fixing the head I'm thinking about just swapping a different motor into it. I'm thinking a 328 or possibly an M3. Anyone have any suggestions or has done this and would like to share their stories? I'd appreciate it! Thanks

#2 ·
Sorry to hear you bent a valve. Did you miss a shift?

The M3 S52 engine actually uses an M52 engine block and head. The only real difference between a 328i M52 and an S52 is the bore & stroke of the pistons and the camshafts. A friend of mine has an M3 and is running an M52 head off a 328i on it because the previous owner did the same thing.

Either engine is a straight drop in swap.

#3 ·
Unfortunately, I went from 4th to second. Revved to 8500 and that was the end of that. I just fixed the valve cover gasket right before it broke.

A friend of mine has an M52 complete motor for sale for $750. Do you think that's an option I should consider? 104k on the motor.

#8 ·
Sorry for the late reply!

A 528i motor should still be an M52. They used the same engine in both. You can easily convert an OBDII car to OBDI. Make sure it has all accessories (power steering pump, alternator, etc) and the DME (ECU).
Im looking to get $200 + shipping for the complete wiring harness.

#9 ·
Don't worry about it!! Thanks for you time!

The kid I was buying the M52 from supposedly lied about where he got it. I couple people that know him have come to me and said that it was a motor he previously blew up on nitrous and is selling it because he needs parts for his M3.

Now I don't know if that is true or not but I'm not taking my chances. I bought a motor from my uncle who works at a junk yard. M50. $600, 160k. The miles are high but the one I broke had 220k. So it's a little better. It's supposed to be grade A and well maintained. So I hope to have the car up and running next week.

I wanted a stronger motor..but this will have this will have to do. I want to cam it. What's your opinion on that?

#10 ·
Its never worth chanceing it. Especially with "kids" and modded vehicles. The parts car that I have the engine harness from wasnt taken care of very well at all, despite the 19 year old owner claiming everything was "OEM or better" while trying to sell it. I found the hole he ripped in the floor when he ran over a parking kerb. The rotor set screw was completley stipped and he didnt use any lube on the caliper guide pins so they sized up pretty bad.

Young owners dont usually maintain their cars properly. I tend to avoid them when possible.

160k is nothing for an M50 to be honest. Theirs a 325i on Bimmerforums that had 600,000 miles on it in 2012. Probably 650 now. All original engine (minus maintenance items).

#11 ·
The sad part is he's almost 30..I'm 20. I don't see the point of scamming someone but whatever. As long as my car runs I'll be happy. Then I can get back on track to getting what I want done to the car.

When I bought my car they gave me every maintenance record since 1994, all original manuals and that cosset tape that comes with the car when you buy it brand new. So this one was pretty well taken care of. I got it from a cop in Rhode Island and I feel kind of bad that I broke it. But it happens I guess.

The only thing that bothers me is that the sport package side skirts are part of the fenders and mine actually broke due to rust..not too thrilled but I'm replacing everything and painting it because whoever detailed it before me was terrible and burned the paint.

Thanks for you time though! I appreciate it!

#12 ·
Ouch. People do stuff like that becuase they dont want to fix problems (that they usually created) or dump more money into a car before selling it. In a lot of cases failing to disclose stuff is fraud. And it makes me mad to see people scamming other people to get their moneys worth out of a car that THEY wrecked/beat to shit.

The sideskirts/rockerpanels are connected to the frame of the car. Keep an eye on it because too much rust will effect the ability to jack the car up should you need. to.

#14 ·
#15 ·
That car came out insanely clean. I want to learn how to do body work and all that stuff! Seems like a good time :) I wish my car looked like that. Can you explain me what Alpina is exactly so I have a clearer understanding? Someone asked me the other day and I wasn't too sure.

Here are some pictures of the rust I am working with and the fender that broke. I would love to do a restoration on my car. I love white e36's...

The is the drivers side fender where the side skirt was already rusty. I think someone hit something and didn't tell me...but it's okay. I'll just figure out a way to fix it.

This is the passengers side fender. The drivers side looked like this but a little worse before it broke.

#19 ·
Nice! Do the water pump, and thermostat housing while you have it out as well. The plastic cover is known to crack and leak so its best to replace it with the aluminum upgrade. Same with the water pump. Get a Stewart pump with the metal impeller. Stewart is the best. Graf are hit and miss with several spectactular failures.

You may as well do all the vacuum lines as well because its way easier with the engine out then removing the intake manifold. The lines are cheap but well worth it for the life of the engines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.