Belts/tensioner/water Pump - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
benji84 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am slowly and surly fixing minor things on my new 94 325is 130k miles. Next on my list is main drive belt. I have been having some belt nosies in mornings and later at night around 2500-3500 RPMs and it really ticks me off (i hate hear cars squeal down the road from loose belts). I stoped by a local machanic and he tought the my tensioner was bad . I have read that we have automatic belt tensioners on our engines, but is there no manual adjustment at all? My Belt looks like its in pretty good condition. If it comes down to it i will replace my tensioner and belts, and it also sounds like a good idea while im in there to replace my water pump (since the stock ones can blow up on me at any time ). Would this be a DIY job on a weekend? I have a Bently manual for my car so that will help some but they dont touch on the belts that much from what i have read.

<span style='font-family:Times'>1994 325is 5-speed 129,000 and strong</span>

<span style='font-family:Times'>Conforti Cold-Air Intake Kit</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by benji84@Mar 28 2005, 11:27 PM
I am slowly and surly fixing minor things on my new 94 325is 130k miles. Next on my list is main drive belt. I have been having some belt nosies in mornings and later at night around 2500-3500 RPMs and it really ticks me off (i hate hear cars squeal down the road from loose belts). I stoped by a local machanic and he tought the my tensioner was bad . I have read that we have automatic belt tensioners on our engines, but is there no manual adjustment at all? My Belt looks like its in pretty good condition. If it comes down to it i will replace my tensioner and belts, and it also sounds like a good idea while im in there to replace my water pump (since the stock ones can blow up on me at any time ). Would this be a DIY job on a weekend? I have a Bently manual for my car so that will help some but they dont touch on the belts that much from what i have read.
[snapback]320591[/snapback]
What kind of experience do you have with this stuff? Never take the first opinion. Who's been giving you ur info. Are you sure it's these belts of yours, huh? Later nights and mornings are colder... that may have something to do with it.... Ask the mechanic WHY you need a new belt and show him your research. Maybe it's your breaks? Just a thought.

... I've never had a water pump blow up on me...

My advice, do some more research, print shit out, bring it to the guy, have him give you the run down.... then get another opinion!
#3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 08:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hootie361 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hootie361
if it was your belt making the noise, it would make the noise throughout the RPM range, not just a specific. have you tried listening to the engine with the hood up to isolate the sound? have a friend incrementally increase the engine speed while you listen under the hood, see if you can pinpoint the sound. my bet, it doesn't have anything to do with under your hood.

i have a similar whine come from my car when i hit 2700 RPM, but it disappears at 3,000 RPM (whines when the engine tries to keep the MPH constant, goes away if I accelerate or slow down). my noise comes from below the cabin, just behind the center console.

does your noise occur only when driving or while idling as well? try listening for the sound both while the car is in drive and while it is in park, revving as appropriate across the entire RPM range.

Your Lane ------>
#4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by benji84@Mar 29 2005, 02:27 AM
[snapback]320591[/snapback]

First of, if the tensioner is badm you replace the whole unit, there is adjustments that can be done requarding belt tension. but if the tensioner fails, the whole tensioner must be replaced, normally what fails first is the bearing on the tensiner pulley, on my 325 with 130k on it the bearing froze and the pulely broke, but it was making a horrable winning nois for quite a while, so fortuonely i had a new tensioner waiting to be put in, but if you can replace it soon, because if this happens you loose belt tension and therefore all the things that the belt has to turn,

It suscks!!

Well hope u find what is it..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 PM
Neutral Member

benji84 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Hootie361@Mar 29 2005, 06:53 AM
if it was your belt making the noise, it would make the noise throughout the RPM range, not just a specific. have you tried listening to the engine with the hood up to isolate the sound? have a friend incrementally increase the engine speed while you listen under the hood, see if you can pinpoint the sound. my bet, it doesn't have anything to do with under your hood.

i have a similar whine come from my car when i hit 2700 RPM, but it disappears at 3,000 RPM (whines when the engine tries to keep the MPH constant, goes away if I accelerate or slow down). my noise comes from below the cabin, just behind the center console.

does your noise occur only when driving or while idling as well? try listening for the sound both while the car is in drive and while it is in park, revving as appropriate across the entire RPM range.
[snapback]320702[/snapback]

Im pretty positive its the belt makeing the noise, and the noise only happens when the engine is under load (driveing) ay those RPMs that i stated.

<span style='font-family:Times'>1994 325is 5-speed 129,000 and strong</span>

<span style='font-family:Times'>Conforti Cold-Air Intake Kit</span>
#6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:54 AM
n00b

vinceye36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by benji84+Mar 29 2005, 02:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benji84 @ Mar 29 2005, 02:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Hootie361@Mar 29 2005, 06:53 AM
if it was your belt making the noise, it would make the noise throughout the RPM range, not just a specific.* have you tried listening to the engine with the hood up to isolate the sound?* have a friend incrementally increase the engine speed while you listen under the hood, see if you can pinpoint the sound.* my bet, it doesn't have anything to do with under your hood.

i have a similar whine come from my car when i hit 2700 RPM, but it disappears at 3,000 RPM (whines when the engine tries to keep the MPH constant, goes away if I accelerate or slow down).* my noise comes from below the cabin, just behind the center console.

does your noise occur only when driving or while idling as well?* try listening for the sound both while the car is in drive and while it is in park, revving as appropriate across the entire RPM range.
[snapback]320702[/snapback]
i think the culprit is the tensioner pulley.. to be sure change the both (upper and lower pulley) check also the belt, if pulley is bad.. belt usually slides ..

Im pretty positive its the belt makeing the noise, and the noise only happens when the engine is under load (driveing) ay those RPMs that i stated.
[snapback]320998[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)